Wednesday, March 15, 2006

More thoughts on music

Wow! I love to hear of your reflections and memories about hymns. Isn't it interesting how music and favorite hymns are often associated with funerals of loved ones?

Isn't the Lord sweet how He gives us music to praise Him and to enjoy? Right now as I write this post I'm hearing a favorite instrumental CD of John Michael Talbot. Whenever I need to read, write or work on some project alone in my office, I love hearing quiet instrumental CD's in the background. Sometimes John Michael. Other times John Elliott. And often I play classical music CD's that I borrow from the library.

What is it about music that touches us so deeply? Other memories of how music in general has gripped my soul:

1. Several years ago Charles Siburt sang a solo of "Just As I Am" while we were taking communion. An invitation song to come to the table.

2. Hearing Rod Pringle play "It's Not About Me" as we sat at DFW airport with a bunch of Highland families and loved ones seeing us off, as we prepared to fly to Brazil for our first Highland mission trip there

3. Hearing Brandon Thomas sing on a CD Dennis Jernigan's song, "I Don't Want to Move From this Holy Place," as another mission team, this time heading to Mexico, took communion together.

4. Attending a DC Talk concert (and in some ways praise service) at Reunion Arena with our son, Aaron, Matt Maxwell and Rob Watkins. The place was filled with awesome music glorifying Jesus.

5. Singing "All Praises Be to the King of King" with a group in a hotel lobby in Itu, Brazil with the staff standing there with tears in their eyes (what is it about music and mission trips?)

6. Hearing for the first time Sara Lynn Grubb, one of Highland's most powerful troubadours for the Lord. She sang and played on the piano another Dennis Jernigan favorite of mine, "With Wings Like at Eagle," at a Good Friday service at Latimer Bowen's ranch.

Wow! I could go on and on about how the Lord uses music to stir up our faith in Him and love for Him and awe for Him.

I know you have some stories to share where music touched your soul... Let's hear some more.

Jim

4 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger Clint said...

I bet King Saul knew the healing power of song.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

Gratitude by Nicole Nordeman got me through the death of my father..


Gratitude

Send some rain, would You send some rain?
'Cause the earth is dry and needs to drink again
And the sun is high and we are sinking in the shade
Would You send a cloud, thunder long and loud?
Let the sky grow black and send some mercy down
Surely You can see that we are thirsty and afraid
But maybe not, not today
Maybe You'll provide in other ways
And if that's the case . . .

We'll give thanks to You
With gratitude
For lessons learned in how to thirst for You
How to bless the very sun that warms our face
If You never send us rain

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Thanks, Bev. Nicole's songs are so rich. Praise God for how He used one of her songs to minister to your broken heart.

Jim

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger RPorche said...

Wow. There are far too many for me to list. Steven Curtis Chapman always has a way of speaking to my heart. I'll also throw out Highland's Easter favorite from a good buddy named Val. :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home