Friday, March 31, 2006

More on ministering to the poor...and involving them

The first thing I read on the internet was this comment to my blog yesterday by G-ampa C. Please read his wise words:

Jim-Stick to your convictions about how you are led to bring the neighbors into service. When Jesus talked about "your neighbor", look at the example he gave:A man was attacked in one of the most dangerous areas in the country. The terrain allows easy concealment, and the place is known for thieves and ruffians. The religious "right" and the religious "elite" knew how dangerous it was, and how important their trips were, and passed by on the other side. (Besides, it could be a trap to lure me over there.) The Samaritan, socially outcast by the religious guys and unclean because of mixed bloodlines, etc., helps because it's the right thing to do. I bet there were Samaritans in the crowd that day, and Jesus offered them a hand up. Allowing someone to serve out of gratitude gives them a hand up, too. Self esteem is a very, very important commodity, especially when they must ask for food to feed themselves or their families. Nothing makes a ministry more dear to us than rolling up our sleeves and devoting our energy to it. Could involvement be the first step in love?? Hmmmm.

---------------
I think you're right, G-ampa C. It is the loving thing to do to ask our neighbors to join us in this work. It's their city and their neighborhood, too. Why shouldn't they join our efforts to help each other? Your comment reminded me of another story that Larry James told us Wednesday. In his early months of leading the ministry, where he worked a lot in the food pantry, one time he chased a guy for several blocks. This man had stolen a bunch of corn from the pantry. After Larry caught the man and made him bring back the corn, he thought later about that incident. And how he had been stealing the "clients" dignity by just giving them a handout. Larry then said, "Which do you choose -- letting them steal corn or letting us steal their dignity?" The neighbors dignity is much more important than a can of corn.

It takes humility to ask for help. But when you ask for help from others, you bless them with the opportunity of giving. As our Lord said, "It is more blessed to give than receive."

Please pray for me today as I seek the wisdom of the Lord in how to apply what we learned in Dallas to the context of the Christian Service Center in Abilene. I know that I want this to be a Christ-centered, Christ-exalting, Spirit-led ministry. Not an agency. I want us to be a lighthouse for Jesus, a place where people can see the gospel in action -- and where our neighbors will be drawn into a relationship with Jesus Christ.

To the praise of His glory,

Jim

4 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

Jim, the only comment I can post today is that I am happy to hear of your getting your hands dirty doing God's work. You know, if you want to have a fruitful garden you have to get your hands in the dirt. I am glad you are at the Service Center. Wow..you encounter, everyday, His work being played out. I see a book..Stories From the Christian Service Center...
Have a good day,,let's have some conditional praying..I pray for you if you pray for me :)

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Jim,
I will keep you and the future development of the CSC in prayer. I'm positive that whatever that move may be, it will be as a result of you seeking God's face and His direction for CSC and for the neighbors you serve there - as well as any other areas in which you choose to collaborate. I'm also positive that whatever it is, it will glorify God and will mirror His love for His children.

You are such a blessing, Jim. Thank you for your ministering heart and hands!!

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

It kinda goes along the lines of what He has done for me I should respond as His volunteer in this world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home