Monday, April 24, 2006

Listening to our Bodies

Okay. I admit it. I pushed it far too hard last week. Scheduled too many meetings. Tried to be involved in far too many activities. Day time. Night time. All Saturday morning.

Then when Susan and I got home about 2 P.M. Saturday from the elders' intreat, it hit me. My body was tired -- and getting sick. I think it was "sick and tired" of the relentless pace of last week. And so, I laid around much of the weekend -- fighting a flu bug. I even fainted in the middle of the night last night. Susan came and got me off the floor and filled me with ginger ale. Susan Nightingale was such a great help to me at 1:30 in the morning. I felt revived and slept well the rest of the night.

So, what do I need to learn from last week? Cut out hurriedness. Don't try to do it all. Say "No" more often. And face the truth that my co-dependent, rescuing self gets in the way of living a more sane lifestyle.

While plopped on the couch yesterday afteroon while watching some of the golf tournament, I also read another great chapter in Sacred Rhythms by Ruth Haley Barton. Such an anointed and practical book. The chapter was titled, "Listening to Our Bodies." Ruth described a time where she burned the candle at both ends for many years and finally ended up in the counselor's office, depressed and out of steam. In this time of facing her driven lifestyle, she learned that she must listen to her body. And to recognize that for the believer in Christ, it's the temple of the Holy Spirit. We must treat it well. Which means taking periodic breaks for refreshment and rest.

Rather than swigging another Diet Coke when I feel tired, I think I'll just take a nap. Maybe go home one or two times during my work week to just lie down and "be." Bill Nash keeps reminding me that I'm a human being, not a human doing. And as our receptionist Roberta Brown told me this morning, "The Lord has other servants. We don't have to do it all."

All right. I'm ready to try a different pace this week. My wise bride models for me the importance of practicing Sabbath and taking more naps. She's right.

What helps you practice Sabbath rest and listen to your bodies when it's time to rest and refresh?

Jim

4 Comments:

At 6:33 AM, Blogger Candy said...

Knowing I have really good soaking music on my ipod draws me to a place of rest. I plug in and lay down. Sunday afternoon I played a song entitled "The Healing Song" over and over and over and over until I could breathe again. It was wonderful.

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

I love it when Lynette says "Easy does it." She's right..
I pray you are better, friend Jim..it stinks to be sick..
Good luck on the nap thing..I am working on that too..

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Tailpipe Terry said...

I did something about six months ago that sounds crazy to most people. I turned in my cell phone and guess what? I don't miss it! It was one small thing that was interrupting my quiet time more than anything else.
Get in the car to go somewhere and it rings. Sit down for a quick lunch and it rings. Try to use it and the battery is low. Where did I leave it? Waste time looking for it. Out of service area! (really needed it then) Do you feel the stress? I did and got it out of my life. Not to mention savings of at least $50 per month.
If you feel stressed,look at some of these modern day conveniences that may be adding strees to your life. The folks that sell them want you to think you can't live without them.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Terry, dear brother!

How true. I gave up my cell phone last November and am so pleased to have done so. I figure if I really need to use one, I can always ask the person next to me - they ALWAYS seem to have one, along with the annoying 'private' conversation being carried on in public. What an oxymoron, private conversation on a cell phone in public!! lol And yes, I do also enjoy the savings!

Jim, 30 years in Mexico, 22 years in the huge Mexico City, taught the beauty of a 10-minute nap around 3:00 in the afternoon. I then start my afternoon refreshed, going through the morning's rituals of a cup of tea [no coffee anymore. :( ], wash the face, comb hair, brush teeth, etc. and I'm ready for another full day's activities.

It's surprising how reenergizing a 10-minute nap can be. Close your door, hang a 'do not disturb' sign on the knob, and ask someone to call you in 15 minutes. It won't be long before you can sit down, put your head back or on the desk, your preference, and immediately drift off. Yummy!!!

Take care, dear brother Jim, we need you around for a long, long, long time!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home