Thursday, April 13, 2006

Taking our messes to the Messiah

Last night Mike Cope showed a hilarious and yet very moving DVD of Jeff Walling portraying Matthew. Oy, what a great Jewish accent! His main point was that when we admit what a mess we are and come clean and surrender to our Messiah, Jesus, He takes our mess and gives us a message! It was a wonderful re-telling of what the power of the gospel can do in our lives.

As I heard Jeff speak, I thought of how at times I don't really see the messes in my life. Some times things are going so well in my life that I don't really feel very messy. And have you noticed how we can see the messes of other people's lives and quietly think, "I'm so glad I'm not like him." Or, "She sure has made such a mess of her life. " And then we don't see the beam in our own eye.

I need that daily reminder from the Holy Spirit that it is by grace that this messy man has been saved, not by works. It's all grace.

Earlier this year I heard Billy Graham's daughter, Anne Graham Lotz, deliver a very powerful message on Isaiah. She described so vividly the scene in Isaiah 6, where the prophet encountered the majesty and holiness of God -- and how this prophet felt undone, stripped of any sense of his own righteousness, feeling a desperation to be forgiven and atoned for his sin. You know the rest of the scene -- how the angel took the hot coal from the altar and put it on Isaiah's lips and declared, "your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for."

Then the Lord commissioned Isaiah to speak the truth of God to His people. Which Isaiah did with great power and boldness!


I have found in my life that I can so be hard on other people when they fail or disappoint me -- and it's often because I forget that I received mercy from the Lord for all my sins and blunders (and I keep receiving that mercy -- because I continue sinning and blundering!)

I'll never forget the story of a Christian leader I knew who had been secretly involved in a sinful practice for many years. He finally came clean -- and eventually left the church where he worked and sought refuge in another town, another church. And a long-term friend of his, who ministered at that church, helped him start his life over. This minister extended this fallen leader mercy and grace. And eventually this leader recovered and was able to begin a new ministry that came flowed deeply out of his brokenness and redemption. We all need those second chances and third chances, etc....don't we?

Here's my question: how can we continually keep before us as Christ-followers the truth that we are messes saved by the Messiah? In other words, how do we keep growing in our passion for Jesus Christ, to be so in love with Him because we know in the very depths of our souls that He has saved us and forgiven us? (and then be mercy givers to others)

As my friend Wes Netz often says as he signs off from his e-mails...

Bought by the same blood,

Jim

7 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Good and blessed morning to you, Jim.

Your questions are so thought provoking - sometimes, as is the case today, a very painful self-examination.

To look back on my past life is to know and be so grateful for God's loving mercy and grace. All that is needed to bring me to my knees before him, as Psalm 51 cries out,

"Have mercy on me, O God, According to Your unfailing love, According to Your great compassion,
Blot out all my transgressions
Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin."

Then just this morning, there came via email, the daily devotional from Max Lucado. How can we forget His great love for us? How is it that we can forget to extend a measure of mercy to other flawed fellow-travelers? It just reminds me how very flawed I am, and how grateful I am for His love, grace and mercy.

Max's devotional today says:
<><><><><><><><>
"April 13th
They have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
REVELATION 7:14

God has only one requirement for entrance into heaven: that we be clothed in Christ.

Listen to how Jesus describes the inhabitants of heaven: "They will walk with me and wear white clothes, because they are worthy...." (Rev. 3:4).

Listen to the description of the elders: "Around the throne there were . . . twenty-four elders ....They were dressed in white and had golden crowns on their heads" (Rev. 4:4) ....

All are dressed in white. The saints. The elders .... How would you suppose Jesus is dressed? In white? . . . "He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God" (Rev. 19:13).

Why is Christ's robe not white? Why is his cloak not spotless? Why is his garment dipped in blood?... Paul says simply, "He changed places with us" (Gal. 3:13) ....


He wore our coat of sin to the cross.

When Christ Comes
Max Lucado

©2000 - 2006
Courtesy
Oak Hills Church
San Antonio, Texas"

<><><><><><><>

He took our place, He washed us and clothed us in white, while His robe remains blood-stained with our sins. How can I be so silly, so ungrateful as to forget this for even one moment, wretched flawed human that I am, but so in love with Him!!

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

Sam loves Jeff Walling..he speaks at Winterfest and thousands of kids are listening to every word that comes out of his mouth. I was amazed this year when I went and witnessed this.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Beverly,

When will you hear about Sam's bone scan? How did it go? I've had him in prayer these past days.

I too witnessed Jeff Wallings' ministering to young people one spring evening on the beach in San Diego, CA. What a bunch of joyful, spellbound kids. Jeff truly has a special gift for reaching the younger ones, doesn't he!!!

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Thanks, Kathy, for that excellent devotional by Max. I love that explanation of why Christ's coat was dipped in blood and ours is white. Hallelujah.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger G'ampa C said...

Every day someone asks each of us how we are. I have had a standard response from Psalm 103:
"Better than I deserve"
It startles people a little, but reminds me of God's grace every time I say it. Isn't it amazing to see glimpses of grace peeking out of the law?

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

Kathy...the Doctor called and said that Sam has a stress fracture or crack in his back. This will mean that my active boy will have to be still for 3 months but that was such good news, as the "tumor like" or "lesion" they thought they saw was ruled out..thank you for your prayers.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Beverly,

PTL!!

I don't envy you trying to keep an active young kid still for three months. You may come to the point of feeling as though it were three eons. LOL

Prayers continue for you and for Sam's continued healing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home