Wednesday, April 12, 2006

How different would things be if we let God lead us?

I want you to think for a moment about different leaders in the church you've known. It may be the man who preached in the church where you grew up, or where you went to college. It might be a woman who taught you in a early childhood Bible class. Perhaps you're recalling an elder or a group of elders. You've likely got some good stories about leaders, and sadly, some stories of bad leaders that come to mind. Recalling these stories might be painful for you because how deeply they hurt you. They may have disappointed you. Crushed your spirit. They led in a way that did not reflect the Spirit of Jesus Christ.

But I know that we can all recall leaders who had an enormously positive impact on our lives. You saw Jesus in them. Maybe they were the ones who led you to Christ, baptized you, helped you learn how to read God's word and modeled for you what it means to be a follower of our Lord Jesus.

It's been nearly three decades since I bent the knee to Jesus and professed my faith in Jesus and was baptized at a small church in Southern California. And that's where my journey began of being shaped by Christian leaders, disappointed by some and witnessing the Lord calling me into leadership in His kingdom.


I think of Larry Fuller, an elder at the Camarillo church. He patiently taught me the gospel and never pressured me to make the baptism commitment. But one Monday evening I knew it was time to surrender to Christ in a public way. A friend of mine and I went out to Larry's ranch, told him the news and later that evening a handful of believers witnessed Larry baptizing me. I always have been thankful to God for Larry's humble spirit and Christ-centered life.

A few months later, the Lord led me to Nick Nicholson. He was another elder at that church. He and his wife invited me and some friends to a Monday night Bible study. For many Monday nights we'd sit at their dining room table, drinking coffee and hear Nick impart his wisdom as he taught us the word of God. Nick didn't have a college education. No former theological training. And yet the Lord used him in helping me begin getting a grasp on the scope of God's story in saving us through Jesus Christ.

When I left California in 1979 and moved to Dallas, I came under the influence of some other great Christian leaders at a large church in Big D. Bill Buckley, an elder there, was a great teacher and servant of Christ. Don Crisp, a very successful businessman and wonderful family man, taught the singles class where I met my bride. He was (and still is) such a man of integrity and humility. Don impacted Susan and me so deeply that we asked him to perform our wedding ceremony -- which he did! The one and only wedding that Don has ever performed.

When I returned to school at Harding, to train for full-time ministry, God led me to some other significant leaders. Men like Will Ed Warren, my favorite professor, who was totally focused on Jesus. He was one of the first leaders I met who had such a passion for Jesus and a love for Him.

I'll never forget our days in Memphis, where Susan and I started our family. I was working on a Master's at Harding Graduate School and God blessed us by leading us to a great church where I became a staff member. Robert Qualls, the preaching minister, taught me so much about ministry and falling in love with Jesus. He modeled for me how to let allow the power of Jesus flow through our brokenness! There's probably no man who loved me more and impacted my life and ministry more than Robert. I'll never forget him.


Since being in Abilene for nearly 16 years, I cannot count the number of leaders that have shaped my life - so many of them who have been or still are elders at Highland: Randy Becton, David Wray, Clois Fowler, Bruce Evans, Roland Orr. They showed me through their teaching and life that the only way to lead (and live!) is through letting the Spirit of the living God lead us.

What triggered all this thought this morning was my reading in Joshua. After encountering acommander of the army of the LORD, and falling down and worshipping him (was it the pre-incarnate Christ?), Joshua followed his orders to let the LORD fight his battles:

"He ordered the people, "Advance! March around the city, with the armed guard going ahead of the ark of the LORD." When Joshua had spoken to the people, the seven priests carrying the seven trumpets before the LORD went forward, blowing their trumpets, and the ark of the Lord's covenant followed them." -- Josh 6:7-8

The signficant part of Joshua's leadership, the key to his leadership, is that He allowed himself to be continually led by Almighty God! As I look back on all those significant spiritual mentors in my life, that is the pattern I see. They were led by the Spirit. And that's how I always want to be.

It's so easy to trust in our education, our intelligence, our knowledge and even our gifts. But isn't it vital to above all trust in the living God?

O, Father, as we lead others in Your kingdom, please keep us humble before You and allow You to continually lead us by Your Holy Spirit. To let You fight our battles. And for You to get all the glory. In Jesus' mighty and glorious Name I pray. And Amen.

Bloggers, I'd love to hear of some significant, Spirit-led leaders in your life.

Jim

4 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Thanks, Candy. I wonder if Mrs. Sorenson has any idea what a difference she made in your life. Is she still alive? If so, could you write her? I need to write some of those leaders I mentioned.

What a blessing Lynette is to all of us.

Jim

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Lauren said...

Some significant spiritual leaders in my life are my daddy, Mark Lewis, Rebekah Zeller, Terrie Bennett, Jim Clark, Sally Gary, Jayma Savage, and Carolyn Dycus. My life has been richly blessed to grow in the shadows of some mighty oaks of righteousness. I praise God for all of them:)

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

I was on the Goodnews Northeast Campaign in the 1970's and had the amazing priviledge of spending time with Landon Saunders. I observed him alot that summer and will never forget the things he taught me.
I was in the first backpacking class at ACU. We went to New Mexico and Cleddy Varner led us. He taught us alot about hiking and backpacking but a whole lot, about a whole lot more.

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Love to hear those stories. Beverly, I forgot about Landon -- a tremendous shaping influence in my walk with Jesus. So was Lynn Anderson. And Polly Hilbert!

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home