Monday, April 17, 2006

Saturday night at the movies

As a somewhat of a purist when it comes to watching films, I believe that you can not really experience to the fullest a well-made film unless you see it at a theater. Watching a movie on a square box in your den cannot compare to a full-screen in a "movie house" -- especially if it's the type of film Susan and I saw Saturday night.

We went to our beloved hometown restored Paramount Theater. The title of the film playing that night was emblazoned on the marque. The Paramount sign shined brighly, with lights running around its border. The lady in the cramped ticket booth sold us our tickets. Popcorn and drinks were sold downstairs -- for prices that go back to the 70's. It sounds cliche, but these moments bring me back to my childhood days when I spent so many Saturdays at the Mayfair or Ventura Theater in my home town of Ventura, Calif. -- paying a whopping 50 cents for admission, buying a Big Hunk candy bar for 25 more cents and then watching two movies.

At the Paramount last Saturday night they showed the classic mulit-Oscar winner, Ben Hur. Again, another memory moment. When it was released in 1959, my Dad took me to the Egyptian theater in Los Angeles to see this amazing spectacle. And I recall so well being moved by the scenes of Jesus -- his compassion towards Judah Ben Hur, literally giving him a cup of cold water. And the touching crucifixion scene. All that came back to me this weekend, as I realized that this film was not just about the character so well-played by Charlton Heston but it was about Jesus! What a great film to see on the eve of Easter.

I love the final scene (Spoiler warning: if you haven't ever seen BenHur, I urge you to rent the CD and see it -- and find the biggest screen you can). After Judah Ben Hur spent years of suffering at the hands of a friend who betrayed him, he was filled with anger. He wanted to get revenge. Then he met Jesus. He saw him crucified. And when he came back from the crucifixion scene to be reunited with his girlfriend, sister and mother (whom Jesus healed of leprosy), Ben Hur said, "I heard Him say, 'Father, forgive them for they know not what they do.' I heard His voice -- and he took the dagger out of my hand!"

I lost it as the final scene faded to black and the curtains literally closed on the screen. That line of Ben Hur gripped my soul, as I thought of the dagger that I at times carry around in my hand. I need to hear my Master's voice continually speak into my soul, "Father, forgive them.... " When I want to get back at someone, or get resentful, or obsess over someone else's sin and flaws, I need to have an ongoing spirit of forgiveness and acceptance -- because He first loved me.

Lord, would You once more empower us by Your Holy Spirit to forgive one another and accept one another because You have forgiven us. Thank You again for the cross and for that empty tomb! In the Name of Jesus, and Amen.

Jim

4 Comments:

At 11:18 AM, Blogger Deb said...

BIG HUNK! I just loved those things!!!

I think I was about aged 5 when Mom and Dad took me and my bro to see 'Ben Hur'. We lived in Los Angeles, and saw it on the big screen at the drive-in -- nothing quite so posh as the Egyptian, but spectacular enough for a little kid. Just a bit too young to recall my exact theological light bulb moments but I do remember three things:
1. Waking my little bro up so he wouldn't miss the chariot races;
2. With all that dust flying around all over the place, how come Charlton Heston never looked dirty? Out in the car park of the drive-in, we could taste the dust!
3. Remembering the vivid scene of Ben Hur's mother and sister and girlfriend -- one of them named Miriam? (I thought that was a pretty name, and CB de Mille lifted it from Moses' sister in the OT -- he was always mixing up the stories in the Bible!) -- and being impressed by the concept of lepers and leprosy. I remember thinking that was a cool thing Jesus did.

But for years I kept getting Charlton Heston's roles mixed up between his Ben Hur and Moses -- must have been CB de Mille's biblical whoppers, bless!

:)

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger G'ampa C said...

Jim-
Forgiveness is an amazing thing. It imparts on the "giver" a part of the glory of the Father because it makes us like Him. It imparts to the receiver a gift that cannot possibly be bought or paid for, a gift of the Spirit. When we consider the debt we owe to Jesus, how can we afford to NOT forgive even the greatest wrong done to us on this earth?
Is it easy? Almost never. Does it bless my soul? Every time.
Then why is it so hard??
I guess the answer is staring me right in the face every morning when I look in the mirror. It's me. It's my failure to become Jesus-filled, to put him in charge and fire myself from that job. It's my failure to realize that when Jesus took my sins, he also took all those injuries and insults which torment me, BECAUSE HE TOOK MY PLACE.
Funny how an old movie or book or memory can reach into us and bring out something good.
Keep on Keepin' on.

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Deb:

I love your memory of Ben Hur. And yes, I went to lots of Drive-Ins in Southern California.

G'ampa C., more excellent insights about forgiveness. Great line: "put him (Jesus) in charge and fire myself from that job!"

Sounds like the daily surrender stuff that I learned in the 12 Steps group -- and yet what I forget so quickly.

Jim

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Oswald Chambers suggests in "My Utmost for His Highest" [paraphrasing] that during morning prayers to remember who gave us this day and to offer it back to Him as a sacrifice of love and obedience, of worship.
I've prayed this for years. It has helped me to remember daily that it should always be less of me and more of Him, as I beg Him to guide me - that everything I say and do would be to His glory - less of me - MORE of Him!

[as I hang my red face in shame] I'm probably the ONLY person on earth, or at least in this country, that has NOT seen Ben Hur, nor have I been able to stay awake through all of 10 Commandments. Why? I have no idea, just one of those silly pieces of trivia that clutter my life. LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home