Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Being Strong and Courageous...standing on His word

Yesterday I faced one of those moments where I felt quite vulnerable. I was going to meet with a grants administrator at a foundation. I had only met this man once before and was a bit nervous about how our meeting would go. Our ministry had applied for a large grant from this organization, and at the prompting of one of our board members I decided to go visit with him one-on-one.

Do you remember the feeling of sitting out in a waiting room, having small talk with the receptionist, while anticipating going in to meet with a high level executive to interview for a job? That's a bit how I felt.

When the man came out to greet me, he ushered me into the foundation's board room, where he and I sat across the table. He looked over the letter that I had sent him nearly two months ago. And then he began asking me some questions -- a few that I couldn't answer.


Thank the Lord, the meeting went very well. This man was very congenial and he ended helping me come up with an idea that might be best for our ministry in seeking a grant from their organization. I strongly believe that the results of this early morning encounter were the answer to the prayers of many whom I had asked to pray.

Early this morning I thought about that meeting again, as I read from the book of Joshua. Yesterday morning before the meeting I had read these words from the Lord to Joshua, as he was about to venture out into a very faith-challenging experience -- driving out the people from the Promised Land. The Lord exhorts this neophyte leaders with these words:

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." -- Josh. 1:8

I love that promise from God to His covenant people: He will be WITH us. Reminds me of one of the names of Jesus -- Emmanuel, God with us.

I grabbed ahold of those words as I prayed before going into that meeting. Through Jesus Christ I have the wonderful promise that His Holy Spirit is with me where ever I go! And I've found that to sense this strength of His power I need to to stay in His word, meditate on His word, and claim His promises. That's why God's promise to Joshua meant so much to me yesterday as I prepared for that meeting.


This past weekend our spiritual formation minister at Highland, Mary Lee Mattis, gave all the teachers a wonderful gift -- The Renovare Spiritual Formation Bible. This morning I read this commentary on Joshua:

"If any life in the Bible provides a clear recipe for sucess, it is Joshua's. He spent his time `with God,' and he spent it in obedience to God's word...He was to speak it, meditate on it, and act according to it. Then he would prosper, then he would find success. The story of Joshua displays a reality that lives on. God's Word show us the way to uninterrupted fellowship with God. Those who live this way will prosper, as God defines prosperity."

Just think of how different our lives would be each day if we came to our Savior each day and listened to His voice as we meditated on His word. And then claimed His promises. And then obeyed His voice out of love for Him.

We all know the "rest of the story" of Joshua's faith journey. Though his life certainly wasn't easy, as he faced many battles, Joshua did experience God's presence and success in powerful ways. The Lord blessed this man who trusted the Lord, meditated on His word and obeyed His Master.

What challenges are you facing today? I pray that we will all face our challenges and trials by living in the power of the Spirit, meditating on His word, believing that our Lord is with us and trusting that He will prosper us in whatever we do. Prospering us His way...and for His glory.

Jim

1 Comments:

At 8:30 AM, Blogger G'ampa C said...

Jim-
We read about the promises so often, but don't apply it to ourselves well enough. One of my favorite promises is the "covenant" of John 6:48-58. "Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day." Follow with Luke 22:14-20. "The new covenant in my blood.." He didn't qualify his promises with "if you're perfect" or "if you really understand what this means". HE JUST MADE A PROMISE, AND IT'S A BIG ONE!!
In my past I saw only the 'Party Line'...sit and take the Lord's Supper with my head down in silence and introspection and prayers for forgiveness. Missed the point, that wasn't what Paul was talking about at all when he said to "examine yourself". I long for the day our whole congregation can commune like our Life Team does... looking each other in the eyes and telling each other how we love and how we have been saved and what a blessing it is to commune. Then that promise in John 6 comes up and we can celebrate!! Like the old song says "Hallelujah, what a saviour!!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home