Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Heart Transplants

Last night Susan and were blessed to be part of an outstanding concert. Well, it was actually more like a praise service. ACU's Moody Coliseum was filled with hundreds of young people -- with a few "old folks" like us sprinkled throughout the crowd. We came to hear Christian musicians Josh Bates, Nicole Nordeman and Casting Crowns. The two opening acts were wonderful, but a bit shorter than we thought. I loved Nicole's honesty about the Christian life...and her words and music are always so touching.

Then the "big act" came on --Casting Crowns. I was so impressed how one of the guitarists led us in a prayer after their opening song, asking the Lord to bless the night and to be the One on center stage. And it truly was an evening of exalting Christ.

One of the most moving experiences was when their Tour Pastor, Tony Nolan, gave a very strong presentation of the gospel. Then he called us to say a prayer of confessing Christ and accepting the gift of His sacrifice on the cross. I heard quite a few people around me quietly repeating this prayer. And I said it in my heart, whispering it out loud at times. And yet it was a re-affirmation of a confession that I've made years ago.

I'm not always quite sure how to respond to these moments when I hear another altar call. I never want to pass an opportunity to take a stand for Jesus -- to proclaim my trust in Him as my Savior and King. I did that long ago. However, do we keep "re-accepting Christ" over and over when we hear these calls to commit our lives to Christ, or receive Him in our hearts or place our trust in Christ and Christ alone for our salvation? Or do we just quietly thank Jesus for how He has already given us "a heart of flesh," as Ezekiel calls it - this heart transplant?

Maybe I overanalyze things too much. Susan says I'm too much of a navel gazer. However, I don't want to just overlook these things.

But in the meantime, I do rejoice in all the young people who took a stand for Jesus last night, filled out a decision card and taking it to one of the aisle workers -- so they could receive some follow-up material via Tony Nolan's website.

What do you think, bloggers? Can any of you resonate with my feelings?

Jim

3 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

Sam was there and said it was the best concert he had been to..

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Thanks, FJ. I want to hear more about that class of David's. Any way you could e-mail me more details on that class?

Someone else in that class said I need to see the DVD he showed. Baptism at the ocean? How cool. Brings me back to my surfing roots in Southern California.

Yes, my life, too,is one altar call after another.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Living the baptized life is a tremendous difficult challenge - to remember to walk in the water along with Jesus as He walks ON the water isn't easy, but it surely does grow us, mature us in Him.

Among other things, David asked us to remember and to share some of our most memorable baptism experiences. There were powerful recountings of baptisms shared.

One that was kept silent was my own, which seems to parallel what David was saying about it not being a one time shot, but rather a constant on-going baptised life.

I was 'dunked' at 12 years of age. I loved my dad so much, and being an obedient PB [I'm not a preacher's kid, I'm a preacher's brat, have been all my life and still am. lol] I wanted to make my dad happier with me in all things, so at 12 I made that walk down the aisle, asking to be dunked.

Dad and Abba Father were melded into one image in my young mind, and I wanted my dad to be pleased. Jesus really didn't have much to do with the ritual, but my dad was estatically happy. And I knew what Christ had done, had that down pat.

In November 1986, at 1AM I was baptized I finally knew who Jesus IS - it was all about Jesus and has been all about Him since that cold November day in Mexico City.

Of course there are moments that I forget to walk in the water, but it's lonely on that dry, parched land, and I gratefully, humbly and repentedly return to my LORD's arms.

Doubts, yes there are times I have doubts about being able to love Jesus as much as I want to, about being His witness to everyone I meet, of wondering why in the world would He want ME with Him? But He washes those doubts away and again I can hold His hand while walking in the water beside Him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home