Thursday, June 08, 2006

Give me an understanding mind

These past few weeks Susan and I have been attending a wonderful class at our church each Sunday. It's called "Financial Peace," a DVD/study guide/discussion series by the popular money manager guru, Dave Ramsey. He is so hilarious, entertaining and wise when it comes to managing money, saving money, purchases and investments. Over and over he urges us to beware of how our culture tries to lure us into debt, overspending, not saving and dumb purchases. I love the wisdom of this guy.

As I look back on a few dumb things I've done with money, I realize how much wisdom that I need to handle the money that the Lord has entrusted to Susan and me. I need wisdom in all areas of my life - God's wisdom.

This morning I read of how the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream and told him: "What do you want? Ask, and I will give it to you!"

Of course, Solomon's well-known response was: "Give me an understanding mind so that I can govern your people well and know the difference between right and wrong." - 1 King 3:6, 9

As I sat on our porch on this peaceful, quiet and relatively cool morning, I pondered Solomon's request. And I, too, told the Lord, "Please give me an understanding mind." I need the constant wisdom of the Lord as I lead my family , direct the Christian Service Center, and serve as a shepherd at Highland.

I thought about how I could have the sort of wisdom that Solomon had. Then came the obvious answer: Read the Proverbs on a regular basis. Billy Graham once wrote: "The psalms help us know how to relate to God. The proverbs teach us how to relate to man."

Someone else I read told of a daily practice in their Bible study: they read one Proverb a day. 31 per month. For most months, that means one could read through the entire book of proverbs every month.

I really think we need to immerse ourselves in the wisdom of proverbs, which is wisdom that the Lord gave Solomon -- and still gives us! Since it's June 8, I'm going to read Proverbs 8...and listen to what the Lord wants to speak into my heart. And then follow His will and ways.

I'd love you to do the same today. Read Prov. 8 and then tell us how God spoke His wisdom into your life in specific ways.

Lord, please give us an understanding mind. Every hour. Every day. Jesus, You are our wisdom. We bow down to You as Lord. Please continue to renew our minds. For Your praise and glory. Amen.

Jim

1 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Blogger DEBTective said...

Bub, just wanted to say a big-time thanks for spreading the word about Dave Ramsey and debt freedom. Dave's plan makes tons of sense, doesn't it? Thanks, also, for working for The Man Upstairs. Here's looking at you, kid. www.debtective.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home