Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Create in Me a Clean Heart

On our last Sunday morning in Brazil, we met with the wonderful group of saints in the city of Itu. Mark Love preached a very powerful sermon on Psalm 51. I was very touched by this message of how God's nature is mercy and He extends His grace and mercy to us humans, who are sinful from birth. But it really came home after last night's incident.

My daughter and I had a fight over money after last night's dinner. I grumbled about how she owes us some money because of the car we helped her purchase. She has worked hard all summer, each week day, at a day care center. And she has promised to pay us what we agreed for her to owe. And yet I really hurt her feelings last night in how I handled this discussion. We initially parted our ways as I went to bed and she kept watching T.V. -- with the matter unresolved. But thank the Lord we ended up talking and forgiving each other before I finally went to sleep.

Ps. 51 and Mark's message came to mind as I tossed and turned in bed for awhile. Once more I admitted that I really am a sinner in desperate need of God's grace. My flesh doesn't want to admit this sinfulness. I want to be a good person and be known as a good person. But I'm not. My only goodness comes from the righteousness of Christ that I claim by faith. And I need to use David's words on regular basis:

"Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin...Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me." (vss. 2, 10)

After sinning and hurting another family member (and recognizing with David that my sin is ultimately against God), I can tend to go into the self-punishing mode. But this is counterproductive and actually very self-centered. The proper response and only healing response is to turn back to Jesus. To call upon His Name. To agree with Him that I am a sinner. To once more repent of my sin. Ask Him for cleansing. Make restitution with those I've hurt. And rejoice in His grace.

I love the words of John Newton, who wrote "Amazing Grace." In his later years he declared, "I am a great sinner, saved by a great Savior."

Me, too, John. Me, too. He saved, and continues to save, a wretch like me. Hallelujah. What a Savior.

Jim

1 Comments:

At 8:07 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Thanks so much for praying for me in Brazil. I definitely felt the presence -- joy, peace, power -- of the Lord during that campaign.

Our team plans to put together a praise report, with photos, to show to our supporters and prayer warriors. I'll probably send it out by e-mail in the next week or so.

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home