Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Insecurities and jealousy

You might want to see the comments to yesterday's blogs -- some great insights from some readers. They are way above my head in critical thinking.

Now I'm going to radically switch gears -- dealing with a topic my wife and I discussed this morning. Ironically, early this morning I departed from my normal quiet time routine, which is reading a portion of my One Year Bible. Instead, I joined Susan in watching some of a Beth Moore DVD. (Interesting -- I "studied" the Bible on DVD). This summer Susan is in a class with other women at our church who are studying Beth Moore's new DVD/study guide/small group discussion entitled "The Patriarchs." Since she was gone to Brazil and thus missed one of the studies, Susan borrowed the DVD and watched it with me this morning. It was excellent stuff.

Beth described the separation of Ishamel's descendants from those of Isaac. Isaac was, of course, the son of the promise. And yet in Genesis 25, the Bible says that God blessed Ishmael. He had 12 sons before Isaac had any. Beth claims that the Islamic religion is descended from Ishmael (I may tell more about that in tomorrow's blog).

The part that really hit home with me in this DVD today was Ishmael's insecurity in not being part of the blessing of Abraham. And thus he was very jealous of Isaac.

Then Beth got the audience and viewer to think of what the green eye of jealousy does to all of us. Like Ishmael, we can say that we are blessed by God -- especially if we are Christians. However, our human tendency is to overlook our blessings and dwell on wanting the blessings of others. And then we fall into the sin of jealousy. Whoa, Beth. You're hitting too close to home!

You see, I feel very blessed by the Lord. When I read Ephesians 1, I'm reminded by God's word of all the spiritual blessings that I have through Christ -- totally by His grace:

He chose us in him ...he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ...In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins...he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.

But even as I ponder these blessings and experience these blessings, and know that God has been so good to me in the wife and children and ministry and church family that He has given me -- His love is lavish! -- I still battle this green eyed monster of jealousy. It's so easy for me to want the blessings of others -- who seem to have a better life: a bigger house, newer car, a swimming pool, and a closer relationship with the Lord.

As I took a shower this morning after hearing Beth's application on what jealousy does to us, I began asking the Lord to deliver me from jealousy. And to help me see how blessed I am in Christ and in the unique gifts and position in this life that He has given me -- so that His Name woudl be praised.

Lord Jesus, deliver us from jealousy and open our eyes to see Your amazing blessings in our lives. And to be thankful, content free from comparisons, coveting and envy. In Your Name and for Your glory. Amen.

Jim

2 Comments:

At 6:55 AM, Blogger G'ampa C said...

Greetings, Jim.
I've been away, so I have some catching up to do.
I've been telling my kids that this life is practice for the next. In this physical world, it's hard to keep "things" in perspective. But if my citizenship is actually, really in a place where "things" are not valued, then my heart should center not on "what", but on "whom".

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Thanks for that reminder, G'ampa C. So true. We need to maintain that heavenly perspective.

And congratulations on being a grandfather! I'm so happy for you guys.

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home