Friday, July 14, 2006

Denominations and Personalities

Last night I got to meet with a sweet group of elderly Christians for dinner. It's an interdenominational group of senior saints that meet that travel together, support different ministries and just meet monthly to enjoy fellowship in Christ. Each year they invite me to join them and tell about Operation Blue Jeans. Then they take up a collection to support this work.

Unfortunately, I was called away from this meeting before I could speak. Our daughter, Shannon, called me on my cell phone -- screaming hysterically. Within a few moments she calmed down enough to tell me that she had a minor wreck. She's okay, but after talking a few of the folks around the dinner table I thought it wise to dismiss myself and head home quickly to console Shannon. She's fine. The car's not. But cars can be fixed.

Thinking about last night, I pondered how different personalities are attracted to and feel more at home in different denominations. This group was mainly Baptist, somewhat "country" Baptist. Though I felt so loved and welcomed by this sweet group of Christian folks, I don't think I'd feel at home being a member there. Nor would I at other denominations. Even though I sometimes get mad at my Church of Christ family -- especially if I detect legalism and a sectarian spirit -- I guess that in many ways I fit in this fellowship. Especially at grace-filled, Spirit-led churches like Highland, as imperfect as it is (it's made up of imperfect believers like me!).

Maybe I'm a bit kooky, but in my experiences as a follower of Jesus these past thirty years, I've observed that certain personalities fit in particular Christian fellowships. I have a good friend who is very expressive and she loves her church home which is more charismatic. Another friend has been in the Church of Christ all her life, but recently she has felt led by the Lord to join a church that emphasizes prophecy and other gifts of the Spirit.

Then again I know some wonderful believers who are much more at home at a conservative Presbyterian church. They may not raise their hands while in worship, but they love the Lord so much. When I've visited certain liturgical, high church churches, I tend to cringe. But if I go to community churches where there is great worship with a band (not too loud) and solid expository preaching, I love the experience. Going to Richland Hills to hear Rick Atchley is always such a treat to me. His preaching feeds my mind and soul (no, that church doesn't have a band, but a great acapella worship team).

And I know of one family whose children were all raised in a conservative church of Christ and yet two of the adult children and some of the grandchildren are now members of either conservative Baptist churches or community churches. They are going where their souls are fed and where they not fit in their walk with the Lord.

I pray that our children and their children will be a part of a Christian fellowship where they will grow in the Lord and be used mightily in His kingdom. Maybe it will be in the church tradition they were raised in. Perhaps not. That's okay.

I just think that it's vital that all followers of Jesus Christ honor the diversity in the body of Christ, not try to squeeze others into our particular denominational mold, and let God use each of us with our particular personality and preferences to serve Him in a church where we thrive in the Spirit.

Jim

2 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, Blogger Digital Diet 365 said...

You mention detecting legalism...

I don't understand why the Christians don't obey law?

The law does stand...

Psalm 119:160
All your words are true; all your righteous laws are eternal.

Psalm 111:7-10:

7The works of his hands are verity and judgment; all his commandments are sure.
8They stand fast for ever and ever, and are done in truth and uprightness.
9He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name.
10The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

Deuteronomy 12:32:

32What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.

Deuteronomy 131-8:

1If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder, 2And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them; 3Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.
4Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.
5And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken to turn you away from the LORD your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed you out of the house of bondage, to thrust thee out of the way which the LORD thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put the evil away from the midst of thee.

Paul taught contrary.

Paul wasn't ordained an apostle (Mat 10)

Paul didn't qualify to be an apostle (acts 1:16-26)

Paul taught lies...

I cor 15:5 says christ appeared (after resurection) to the 12...but remember, Judas was dead.

the book of Matthew, mark and luke and acts talk of 11.

Paul's conversion story is false..there are 2 different versions of what Christ tells him...compare acts 22 and acts 26.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

I can't agree with you, Mr. Return to Righteousness. From my understanding of God's word and experience, I'm deeply convinced of the truth of John 1 -- "the law came through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ."

I also love the words of Paul in Phil. 3 -- "not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that whihc is through God and is by faith."

Again ,from God's word and my experience, I know that I cannot keep the whole law. My sinful self is incapable of doing this. But hallelujah, my Savior has taken that curse of the law upon Himself on the cross and has set me free. Amazing grace. And this grace motivates me to obey Jesus out of love and gratitude towards Him.

Tami, great observation about what your upbringing and why you come alive in expressive worship settings.

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home