Monday, July 24, 2006

Out of Africa

About three weeks ago, Susan and I were on a bus with about 40 others, heading from the Sao Paulo, Brazil airport to the city of Itu, the church we've worked with these past six years. We sat next to Mitzi Adams, who had just spent two weeks in northern Zambia with her husband David and several others from the Hillcrest church in Abilene. As she told stories of spending a fortnight with Zambians who lived very simply, I felt like I was there -- seeing the kids in bare feet, watching the women carry pots on their heads, and witnessing the thousands crowded into a refugee camp that David visited. It's clear that since David and Mitzi came "out of Africa" their perspective on money and possessions and the vast wealth we enjoy has been altered tremendously.

Last Friday Mitzi commented on my blog about Rick Warren's interview concerning what to do with all of his riches. I think Mitzi has lots of insights that we wealthy Americans need to hear. Not so we'll just feel guilty, but instead that we will live beneath our means, resist our culture's pull to buy more of this and more of that, and instead give generously and joyfully to those in need. To the glory and praise of our Lord.

Jim


Jim, This is much food for thought. I came back from Africa, a land of poverty and need, into this land of wealth and want. It is a very difficult thing to process the vastness of resources I have available to me. I am so encouraged to read of this Godly man who has so straightforwardly proclaimed that his wealth and notoriety are only gifts from God to be used solely for His purposes and not for the satisfaction of his flesh.


Self-denial is at the heart and soul of the teachings of Jesus, and yet we (I) want to look at this in terms of where I fit in the spectrum of obedience... comparing myself to others and how they are managing their own wealth. (I have to remind myself that I have great wealth...All I have is wealth.) This interview reminds me that it is not a relative issue. It is a matter of obedience or defiance. I want to be obedient.

Help me, O Lord, in the midst of disobedient actions. Convict me and convince me of the beauty of walking in submission to You...with all I have. Satisfy me with Your Word. Fill me with joy, uncomplicated, unadulterated, uncompromised joy.

Mitzi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home