Friday, September 15, 2006

Choose Joy

Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I call to you all day long.

Bring joy to your servant, for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul. -- Ps. 86:3-4


Susan and I have a routine each weekday morning. Up around 6 -ish. One of us makes the coffee. We each have our individual quiet times. Then as she's finishing getting dressed, I try to leave the house about 7:35. Before we part, however, we always pray together. Unfortunately, I'm nearly out of time so our prayer isn't as long as I'd like it to be. And yet I still love this tradition.

Before our prayer today I was in somewhat of a melancholy mood. As I was waking up, the memory of 1992 flashed back in my mind-- I was forty years old, finishing up a Master's Degree at ACU, and working two part-time jobs. I was a frustrated man, longing so much to have full-time work in a local church. That never happened and yet the Lord eventually led me to other ministries that fit my gifts much more. And I pray that He has used me in great ways in His kingdom, for His glory. He taught me a lot during those days of being humbled and confused as to the direction my life was taking.

As I mused over this memory early today, I thought of our children and how I long for them to discover their talents and gifts early in life and to find a career that will fit their passion and strengths. I want them to find this niche a lot earlier than I did.

When it was time for our prayer, I walked over to the shower, leaned my hand over the door, grasped Susan's wet hand and asked her to pray with me. She knew I was a bit moody this morning. Susan knows me so well -- and loves me anyway! In my prayer, I tried to focus on the goodness of God and His blessings in our lives.

After I let go of Susan's hand, gave her a kiss and headed out of the bathroom, I heard her words, "Chooose joy, Jimminy."

"Choose joy." Those words kept ringing in my ears as I drove to work. "Choose joy."

Susan’s words made me think of a message I heard 25 years ago when a preacher very passionately spoke on a passage from 1 Thessalonians: “In everything give thanks to the Lord.”

I love how The Message puts it:

Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens. This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live.

How can I not choose joy when I focus upon the goodness of God in my life in contrast to my petty little problems?

Choose joy.

This phrase makes me think of my dear friend, Alyene Treas, who just moved from Abilene. She is in her 80’s and radiates the love of Christ. If you knew her story, you might wonder why she has so much joy. Alyene has lost two children and two husbands to death. Life has definitely not been easy. However, she kept trusting in the Lord, raised two girls on her own for many years, taught piano lessons in her home, went back to college, and became a school teacher. She refused to be a victim. Alyene chose joy.

And that’s what I plan to do today, by the power of the Spirit. Besides, who wants to be around a grumpy guy who dwells on a few regrets and focuses on the negative? I certainly don’t want to be around this guy!

“Jimminy, choose joy.” I will, Susie. I will. And how can I not be joyful when I lift my eyes up to Jesus, the One who gives me true joy…over and over and over again.

4 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

I didn't know that, Susie. See how the Lord keeps changing us through being in the Word and being open to His Spirit? That's the kind of woman you are and I praise God for you!

Love,

Jim

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

What a joyful, loving, gentle couple you are. You mirror the image of a Godly marriage that our young couples need to be blessed observing y'all!!

Bless you for choosing joy and for choosing each other!!

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

Oh man Jim, choosing joy when the walls are crashing down is sometimes very tough but it really works. God is my joy and darkness would love nothing more than to steal that joy. Faith is joy..

love you and susan so much..just precious...

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

It is a JOY to hear from my brothers and sisters out there. Seems to me that Paul said of one church, "You are my joy."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home