Thursday, October 26, 2006

If the Lord Had Not Been on Our Side

I love that hymn, "If the Lord had not been on our side." One line I remember: "The snare is broken and I have escaped. Blessed be the name of the Lord. Blessed be His name."

As I read this morning from Jeremiah, the Lord reminded me again of how blessed we are to be in covenant with Him through Jesus Christ -- saved from our sins and the wrath of God, kept in His care, deeply loved by Him. And what a contrast is our position in Christ to those who refuse to accept the gift of His Son.

It was scary reading of the judgment of Almighty God on nations such as Babylon. In contrast, it is so comforting to read of God's amazing love for Israel. After disciplining this nation, He calls them home to Jerusalem. And He pours out that same love upon us in Christ -- the new Israel.

Last night Jerry Taylor preached a wonderful message on living by the power of the Holy Spirit. I especially loved what he said at the end of his sermon: "Many people believe in God, but how many have experienced the love of God.?" Then he described what it's like to know that God loves us -- nothing can stop us, no rejection from others will deter us. The love of God is so powerful.

When the service was over, all I wanted to do was talk to others there about the love of God and experiencing that love more through His Spirit.

At our devotional this morning at work, I told our volunteers and staff about this message. Then I closed with this prayer from Eph. 3, which I now pray over you:

I ask God from the wealth of his glory to give you power through his Spirit to be strong in your inner selves, and I pray that Christ will make his home in your hearts through faith. I pray that you may have your roots and foundation in love, so that you, together with all God's people, may have the power to understand how broad and long, how high and deep, is Christ's love. Yes, may you come to know his love -- although it can never be full known -- and so be completely filled with the very nature of God. -- Eph. 3:14-20, Good News Translation

Tell me, fellow bloggers. How have you experienced the love of Christ lately?


In Christ's love,

Jim

2 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, Blogger G'ampa C said...

Yes, my friend.
over and over I am reminded of the love of God, which wraps us in a blanket of security. I'm reminded of it in simple things, like the second stanza (in our books) of "It is Well With My Soul", which we sang last night. How can a Christian sing that without turning inside-out?

From Psalm 103:
...He does not treat us as our sins deserve...

From Hebrews 10:
We have been made holy by the sacrifice of his body once for all.
Forgiven for past, present and future sins all at once, from his once sacrificed body. I am torn between the response of the prostitute weeping over the Lord's feet, and a celebration.

What freedom!!
What a gift he has given us!!
Whoo Hooo!!
Deep center field/ over the lights/ out of the park/ grand slam home run!!
(In keeping with current events)

I guess the celebration response won out...

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Thank you, G-ampa C. Love the metaphor of the home run. Jesus hit the home run. And He puts us on base and brings us home. Forgiven forever.

By grace through faith...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home