Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The Cross in Christmas

I've heard this hymn sung by so many talented singers. But never has my soul been so stirred than when I heard the rendition of "O Holy Night" by Michael Crawford (of "Phantom of the Opera" fame). The children singing back up, Michael's incredible voice, the awesome crescendo at the end -- it truly brought me to tears the first time I heard it, while driving in my truck -- with the speakers at full volume. Our local Christian radio station, 98.1, has been playing it quite a bit. I plan to download this hymn from I-Tunes and play it at the end of our volunteers' Christmas lunch this Thursday.

In my reading of Zephaniah this morning, God gave me a glimpse of why Christmas was such a holy night. The prophet declares that God's fearsome wrath is about to come down on the nations that mistreat His beloved Israel. Sadly, he also announced that Almighty God would punish His chosen nation for their wickedness. It is such strong language:

I will crush Judah and Jerusalem with my fist and destroy every last trace of their Baal worship...I will destroy those who used to worship me but now no longer do. They no longer ask for the LORD’s guidance or seek my blessings...the LORD’s anger will be poured out. It is a day of terrible distress and anguish..." (1:4, 6, and 15)

Then the prophet shifts gears and declares a day of hope for Israel: "On that day I will purify the lips of all people, so that everyone will be able to worship the LORD together...On that day the announcement to Jerusalem will be, “Cheer up, Zion! Don’t be afraid! For the LORD your God has arrived to live among you. He is a mighty savior. He will rejoice over you with great gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will exult over you by singing a happy song.”

Until this morning, I had never thought of these words applying to Christmas. However, when I witnessed the wrath of God as revealed in Scripture, I'm reminded that every one of us is under a sentence of death because of our sin... if it weren't for Jesus. He took that wrath upon Himself on the cross. And for those who accept this gift of grace by faith in Jesus, the Lord holds no wrath against us but instead exults over us with singing, lavishing us with His love and mercy.

I once more see a cross at Christmas. Our sins are forgiven, we've been pardoned from a death sentence, and we're now totally secure in our salvation. And so I join Michael Crawford in exulting Christ, for it was the most holy night of all...the night our precious Savior was born.

Jim

1 Comments:

At 8:08 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

i heard crystal lewis sing this and it was as if i had never heard it before. she sang it really slow so that the words pierced my heart like never before.

yes, truly a holy night..that baby and my savior has been a constant light in some of my darkness times, these last few months..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home