Thursday, February 15, 2007

Give Love a Chance Again

While having lunch with my dear friend Randy, a friend of his walked up to us and gave him a hug. After she left, Randy said that this woman had been gone through a very painful divorce years ago (are there divorces that aren't painful?). A few years later God brought into her life a wonderful Christian man whom she married. She took the chance to love another man and by God's wonderful grace this time marriage has been for her a blessing.

Then Randy said, "Jim, I want you to write something to those you minister to about never stop loving. So many people who get burned in relationships are reluctant to open their hearts up again to love. Encourage them to give love a chance again."

All of us have some wounds in our hearts – inflicted in some relationship. Could be marriage. Maybe something that happened to us as a kid. Or a mistreatment by a boss; being betrayed by a friend; disappointed by a fellow believer in our church.

When we’re hurt by someone we expected to nurture our lives, the wounds can linger for some time. I think that’s why people that are let down by someone in the church can get so angry at the body of Christ – and at Christ Himself. They expect so much from someone who claims to be a Christian. And so the wounds hurt even more.

About seventeen years ago, Susan and I were in the Northeast as part of a team planting a church. In time we realized that the situation we were in did not fit us. After prayer and seeking counsel from those outside our small band of church planters, we decided to leave and move closer to Susan's home state of Texas. It was a painful move. We both felt very guilty. Many of the team members had a hard time with how we left earlier that we had originally planned. In retrospect, I could see why they were hurt and at times angry with us.

We ended up in Abilene in the summer of 1990 -- with two young children, Susan starting to teach at ACU and me going back to school and working part-time. And we did join a church -- Highland -- and slowly became involved. But quite frankly, I was afraid to get too close to others because I didn't want to get hurt again. Probably unconsciously, I was protecting my heart. Yet I knew that I must love again and take that chance to be disappointed by others, and yes, disappoint others.

However you’ve been hurt in a relationship, let me encourage you to listen to the wisdom of my friend Randy. Give love a chance again. It may not mean necessarily getting remarried. It may just involve letting someone get close to you – a person you can trust and yet someone you realize will not love you perfectly. Only Jesus can do that.

I think this is why the Hebrew writer urges believers to live peacefully with others and let no bitter root grow in our hearts (Heb. 12:14-15)

So let me say once more – give love a chance again. Yes, do so with your eyes open. Recognize that the love from others will always be imperfect…just as ours is. And yet God cannot work through a hardened, protective heart.

And when we love again, in the name of Jesus, I firmly believe we’ll receive a healing in our hearts from Him that will give us the strength to keep our hearts tender towards Him and others.

Jim

5 Comments:

At 10:16 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Randy is right, Jim! Give love another chance. It might not be the same type of love, but open up to love anyway. If you've been hurt by a failed marriage or love interest, it might be you will direct that openness for love to friendships,to those difficult to be loved by others, to the handicapped, to the ill, to an orphaned child. There are so many 'others' that can and do fill our need for love of and from others.

The only love we cannot substitute with another kind is God's love for us and ours for Him and His family. All others are interchangeable, at least imho.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

You have such great insights, Kathy. And I think you have a testimony to share. Have you ever told your story in Charles Mattis' class? If so, I'd love to read it -- if you wouldn't mind.

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

Yes, I gave part of my testimony in Faith Seekers a couple of years ago. I'm not sure I have a copy of it since the computer I was using at that time fried, crashed and died. I have some of the documents, and will see if I can find it. I believe it was the latter part of August 2004. Somewhere also, there is a tape of it. Maybe David has a copy. I'll check.

If i were to attempt to give my whole testimony you'd think of War and Peace as a mere pamphlet, mine is so loooooooong and involved. LOL

If you read my blog, you will find some glimpses into parts of that former life from which our loving God rescued me. Praise Him!

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger G'ampa C said...

My mom had a dear friend named Mary Smith. Mary would cry at the drop of a hat and was well aware of it. She told me one time that someday I would understand about that. She said that we go through life missing love, the very best life has to offer, because we refuse to let ourselves feel or be hurt. All these years later, I know she was right.
Isn't it our reluctance to let others inside our personal space which blocks us from relationship? I am also becoming convinced that the same walls whhich keep the Body of Christ out keep His Spirit out, as well. We sometimes don't realize how our relationships with each other hinder our relationship with God. We have done rather poorly at sensing how we hurt others, or perhaps taking any action on it, that we leave others feeling hurt and bleeding.
What's the answer when someone hurts us? Forgive.
Even before they ask...Forgive.
Is it easy? No. But Jesus tells us we will be forgiven as we forgive. Hmmm. That could be a really good system if we can only forgive.
The other side of the coin is the whole "leave your gift at the altar" thing. Jesus said that if we remember someone has something against us, we should leave our gift (to God) at that altar and go and be reconciled. Why?
Is it always my fault that someone is angry with me? No, but he doesn't pick sides. How often do I know someone is hurt by my actions or inactivity and I just let it go, hoping it will blow over? God, who made us, knows that we need healthy community to thrive. I wonder why it's taken me all these years to see that?

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

Randy Becton is preciousness!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home