Friday, February 16, 2007

Intertwining Relationships

I want to continue the discussion of yesterday's post, where I encouraged us to "give love a chance again." When we get hurt in relationships, our human tendency is to close off our hearts and try preventing it from being wounded again. And yet we miss out so much in life if we close the door to our hearts.

I love this comment by G-ampa C:

Isn't it our reluctance to let others inside our personal space which blocks us from relationship? I am also becoming convinced that the same walls which keep the Body of Christ out keep His Spirit out, as well. We sometimes don't realize how our relationships with each other hinder our relationship with God.

When you read Scripture, it's so clear that our relationship with the Lord and with others is so intertwined:

Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." – Matthew 22:37-40

Forgive as the Lord forgave you. – Col. 3:13

Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God. -- Rom. 15:7

These passages, and my experiences over the years of being part of the body of Christ, make me think of the wisdom of God’s plan in creating the church. We learn so much about Christ as His Spirit works through other believers with whom we interact. That’s why it’s so vital that we stay in fellowship with other Christ-followers.

Just yesterday, my dear brother Lou Seckler had me to his office for a brown bag lunch. He told me about a book he had read while on a mission trip to Mexico last week. He read to me excerpts from this book -- Benny Hinn’s Good Morning, Holy Spirit. Before I left, we prayed together, asking the Holy Spirit to take more control of our lives. We both confessed to the Lord how we tend to do things our way and yet we want Jesus to take over our lives more and more. I just have a feeling that this prayer time was much more meaningful and transforming than if he and I had just prayed individually in our own offices.

We really do need each other as we’re intertwined in Christ’s love together – in the midst of the joys, conflicts, misunderstandings and differences.

Jim






7 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Jim,

How true, about praying together being so powerful. One of the banes of single life is NOT having the others to pray with. Being single not only means we pray, study, rejoice, suffer in solitude with our LORD, but in the church setting we often are cut off from others and their activities simply because we are not part of a couple.

What do you think causes singles, especially senior women and single moms, to be so isolated socially in the church?

One has to be of very strong, determined character to fill those needs - to make a call when you miss having someone call you, etc. We often must learn to make do with the few moments we're with the corporate body in formal worship meeting times to fill our needs for Christian fellowship, which btw, doesn't include after church lunchtime. We again become the 'out of sight, out of mind' group, sad to say.

[I say we, because obviously I'm one of the senior single women. Also for many more years I have been a single mom,even though my kids are now grown and I'm now also a grandmom and great grandmom.]

Are there solutions?

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

Benny Hinn?

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

Kathy...girl..you are so right.

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

"What do you think causes singles, especially senior women and single moms, to be so isolated socially in the church?" Great question, Kathy. And a convicting one.

My first reponse is that others in the body of Christ open their eyes to single senior saints and recognize their value in the body. Invite them into a small group setting.

Second, encourage them to find a niche for service. Don't just expect them to initiate this. Rather, ask them to join you in a ministry where you think they could serve. I'm reminded of when Brenda Chrane asked Aleyne Treas and June Chrisner to come to the Highland office once or twice a week and make encouraging phone calls to members who were shut-ins. This minstry blessed those isolated at home, but also blessed Aleyne and June.

Some of the happiest widows I know work here at the Service Center. This is their family. And they give back so much to the community.

Kathy, what is your ministry niche and where could you serve? I'm thinking of starting a monthly luncheon prayer session here at the Service Center. Do you want to help me put this together? I need a good administrative person with a heart for prayer and the Lord.

Benny Hinn? I like to learn from everyone.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

athy, what is your ministry niche and where could you serve? I'm thinking of starting a monthly luncheon prayer session here at the Service Center. Do you want to help me put this together? I need a good administrative person with a heart for prayer and the Lord.
- - - - - - -

I'd certainly like to talk to you about this, Jim. Also, I'd love to talk with you and, for instance, Beverly about how to relieve the dearth of social activities in which single women and moms are subject to in the couples' activities in the church.

The plea of one single mom keeps ringing in my heart.

In church is where I feel the most alone.

How can we address this. How can we address the many women that go home alone for Sunday lunch,for instance, be it totally alone or with their kids? How can we open the eyes of our fellow congregants to the the social hunger so many single women, moms or not, have for social contact with their other brothers and sisters in the church family?

And btw-senior women want and need the companionship of younger people and kids too.

Let me know when you'd like to talk about your prayer luncheon, Jim. I'd be more than happy to help you with it!!

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Kathy:

You bring up an excellent point. I want to bring up this matter with our Administrative Elders today at our weekly meeting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home