Monday, February 19, 2007

Closer and Farther

During the early part of Mike Cope's sermon yesterday, he told the story of Tyler Sheets, the young college student who was killed in a car accident over the holidays. He must have been some great kid. As his grief-stricken parents cleaned out his room here in Abilene, they found a list that Tyler made. It described two things: what drew him closer to God and what fulled him farther away.

Don't tell Mike, but for the next few minutes of his sermon I checked out mentally and started making my own list for today's blog. I couldn't believe all the things that flowed out of my mind. Here are a few:

What draws me closer to Christ?


1. Reading God's word early in the morning before talking to anyone else

2. Reading Christian biographies (especially John Piper's series, "The Swans Were Not Silent" -- stories of Augustine, John Calvin, Martin Luther, etc.)

3. Sitting around the dinner table with family or extended family, talking about what we thank God for that week or that year

4. Praise and prayer times in our small group, especially when Rod Pringle leads us in worship with his guitar

5. Sunday morning worship and classes at Highland

6. Great films with redemptive stories ("Millions," "Chariots of Fire")

7. Being in the Highland prayer room or the prayer room of a Walk to Emmaus with some prayer warriors

8. Hearing the gospel spoken out loud (especially passages from Romans and Galatians in The Message). Also, if you ever want to hear a very powerful reading of God's love for us, read out loud Ephesians 1 in The Message

What Pulls Me Away from Christ?

1. Reading secular literature for an extended period (Time Magazine is often fascinating, but usually leaves me empty and hungry for God)

2. Channel surfing on the T.V. late at night by myself (why do I even bother with that junk? O, the battle of the flesh!)

3. Small talk at lunches or social events (especially when it's with Christians with whom we should be having much more substantive conversations)

4. When I get critical of others and start dwelling on their flaws and sins, and forget about the log in my own eye

5. When I allow myself to get jealous and envious of others, and not focus on how the Lord has blessed me so much.

What draws you closer to Christ...and farther?

Jim

4 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, Blogger Tam said...

Jim,
What a great idea. Wonder if by just acknowledging the list it will help us choose the former and not the latter.
Closer: Starting the day with God
waking up to Christian music
Farther away: Starting the day reading the newspaper waking up to whatever music

And don't friends make such a difference.

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Yes, Tami, I think how we start our day is so vital. "While it was still dark, Jesus got up, went to a remote place and prayed..." (Mark 1:35)

And I didn't mention friends -- tremendous impact on us, for good or ill.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

My abbreviated list, using Tami's format, if I may :)

Closer: First waking moments prayer, before setting one toe on the ground. As a result, the rest of the day just seems to be filled with reminders of Him. And yes, closer believing friends that shine with His love, draw me into His light and closer to Him. Also, praying for and with my online prayer chains.

Father away: Starting any day without awakening prayer and reading. Also, I have to be very careful about the time I spend on the computer, even though at a glance it might seem all to His glory. When I spend more time ON the computer than I do OFF, somethin's amiss and I find I'm talking about God, but not necessarily serving nor adoring Him. It's very difficult for me to keep that balance.

Jim, this is one of the most thought provoking entries you've had among the many that prod me to pray and think. Thank you!!

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Great point about the computer, Kathy. I LOVE being on the computer, but must confess that I check my e-mail too often.

What if I asked God to speak to me throughout the day, rather than looking at Outlook Express so much to see what people are saying to me?

Hmmmm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home