Monday, July 16, 2007

Homeleaving

That word, "homecoming," stirs in us warm feelings of reunions, reflecting on "the good old days," and seeing old friends and family members.

But what about the word, "homeleaving?" That non-Dictionary word rolled around in my mind as I sleepily dragged myself to the shower this morning. Last night we got home about 2 A.M. from vacation and I had to be at work at 7:45 A.M.

Home leaving. My family and I went to California, my old home town of Ventura. One afternoon after having lunch with my mother at her assisted living center, my sister and I ran some errands for mom. Along the way my sister decided to take us on a quick drive through memory lane. We went by the hospital where all the kids were born. Drove up Dorothy Drive, where we lived about 5 years and then Rockford Court (my favorite house), where we lived for 11 years. Memories flooded my mind of summer evening softball games with the neighbors in that court. Those were magical days.

We drove by our Dad's old office, where we used to stop by on the way home from school and get a coke from his machine. I missed seeing Dad's sports car in his familiar parking spot.

Every time I return to Ventura, taking in the beauty of the ocean and feeling that cool weather, I get a brief pang of nostalgia. And I even wonder what it would be like to move back there. But then I'm reminded that it seems that door was closed long ago. In fact, though I do miss my extended family and that Riviera-like weather, I know that I needed to leave. It was time to move on. I needed to grow up.

Jesus' words came to mind this morning as I reflected on when I left home and moved to Texas 28 years ago next month:

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple. And anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple. -- Luke 14:26-27

Wow. Strong words from Jesus. What is He telling us? It seems to me that if we're serious about being a follower of the Lord, we need to renounce ultimate allegiance to any family tie and let Jesus be the one consuming passion of our lives. Have you noticed how family ties can be so strong that they can easily become an idol? Jesus knows that and so He is very clear that if we want to be one of His, there's nothing that can be more important to us than our relationship with Him -- not even a parent, a spouse or one of our precious children.

And for some of us it may mean literally moving away from our home town. I think it did for me. For other Christ followers, who end up staying in their home town and perhaps near their parents, it may mean drawing some strong boundaries. I know of some adult children who have left the denomination they grew up in and it really hurt their parents. It took courage to stand up to their parents in this decision. But again, if we're going to put Jesus first, it may mean making our parents mad. So be it, if it means that we're allowing Jesus to be the captain of our ship.

Home leaving for the Chirstian is much more than physically leaving our city of origin. It means not allowing our physical home or family of origin or any family member to be our ultimate source of comfort, identity and trust. And this can be gut-wrenching at times since family can be such an anchor for our lives.

And yet I firmly believe that if we make our ultimate home the very heart and will of Jesus, we'll be able to withstand any criticism, shunning or misunderstanding that may come our way. And Jesus promises us that if we belong to Him then some day, one day, we'll get to go to that perfect home...with Him...forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home