Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Secrecy

My heart has been heavy the past 20 hours or so after reading of yet another minister accused of moral failure. Hearing this news triggered memories of other men I know, some of whom I worked closely with, that were discovered to have multiple sexual encounters with women over the years. I think of the heartache that ripples out from this secret sinful behavior - wives crushed in spirit and embarrassed, children confused and angry, congregations feeling betrayed. The devil really does a number on us when he gets ahold of a Christian leader and brings him down.

The word "secrecy" came to mind this morning as I thought about these moral failings. One preacher I admired told me that Satan does his best work in the dark. That's why it's so important that we bring everything about our lives into the light, he advised me (Ironically, this same man was later discovered to be living a secret life of sexual sin).

When I was in the 12 steps program, one of the mantras of our support group was "You're as sick as your secrets." What is it about our human nature that we tend to hide things about ourselves? I can think of a few things:

1. We don't want to let on to others when we're struggling.

2. We try to handle our problems on our own.

3. Perhaps we get some sort of high by thinking we can indulge in our secret sins and not get caught.

I'm wondering if our bent towards secrecy is rooted mainly in pride. We don't want to be dependent on others to help us face and overcome our sin. We want to save face and therefore are reluctant to tell others about our dark impulses and fleshly indulgences. As a Christian, I've been ashamed at some of the things I want to do or end up doing. And so at times I didn't tell a fellow believer -- and that always led to trouble.

On the flip side, however, whenever I've been a part of a small group or confided in a close frienship where we got honest with each other, inevitably we became relieved that we weren't the only ones struggling with this sin or problem. And we could sense a movement of the Spirit among us as we confessed our sins to one another. We brought things into the light, and Jesus always blesses such actions by giving us a deeper sense of His presence.

I'll always remember that morning about 16 years ago when I called my new friend Bill Nash, a recovering aloholic. I had yelled at the kids that morning as I took them to school. Then when I got to work I felt so bad about my behavior that I knew that I needed to call someone to get help. Bill's name came to mind. My first words to Bill were something like, "Bill, I'm a perfectionist. And I'm hurting my family because of this. I need help." That began a long-term friendship with a man with whom I could be gut level honest. And he accepted me and loved me, even when he knew of the junk in my life.

Yes, we are as sick as our secrets. Yet on the positive side, I think we're as healthy as our honesty. Like the 5th step says, "We admit our wrongs to God and to somebody else," and the secrets come out from the dark. And we step into the light of the living God where there is forgiveness, mercy, grace and freedom.

Jim

7 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

Proverbs 28:13
He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy.

I believe it is in true confession where we find a deeper fellowship. But..are those in the church ready to hear or are they ready to judge..this inhibits confession. It seems sometimes that the church is most comfortable with norms and status quo or more involved in the "big" matters that they miss the biggest and that is love.

Great post..hmm..I have been tempted many times in the last few months to just walk up the aisle and step up to the microphone and tell everyone to just grab the person next to them..

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

p.s. Whitney spent time on a 4 wheeler on Byron Nelson's ranch yesterday!

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Good post, Jim. I think secrecy breeds pride. Spiritual pride exists and manifests itself in all of us, not just the clergy.

When I was growing up in the CofC, I can so vividly remember that our particular 'tribe' was never big on confession -- that was something the Catholics did, and, well, we sure weren't THEM! Counselling as we know it today was not much of an option, much less a thought, in the church of my formative years.

Some of the great preachers of faith I grew up admiring and wanting to emanate were of an age and culture in the CofC when confession of sins meant not only professional and social death to them and their families, but also tremendous spiritual suffering. They could not easily go to each other, and there were few elders who were of a pastoral-enough nature to forgive and forget. There were no caring supportive ministries for preachers to resource for themselves with others, and ‘retreats’ back then were known only for monks, and they were Catholics, and, well, our guys just weren’t THEM. Many could not even go to extended family members with their problems, even if one of their own children had problems. It was a time when we just did not air our dirty laundry out for others to see. I look back today and think of the suffering endured by those in my family who went through the pain of divorce, and how horribly mistreated they were by their churches – rather than being drawn in safely under loving comfort and spiritual guidance they were instead unwelcomed and driven away from fellowship.

So these ministers and pastors we look up to who are still from those days, they were allowed to develop a culture of secrecy by the dysfunction of our church’s fellowships.

If we could just revisit the multitude of lessons in the way Jesus approached and engaged with the woman from Samaria (John 4). I’ll be posting some thoughts on these soon.

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger G'ampa C said...

Isn't it amazing that a church of the "reformation" movement, so concerned with returning to the original design for the church, invested so much energy in "getting it right" that we neglected confession (and healing) in self defense? For most of my life, guts-in-the-gutter confession would practically guarantee empty chairs around you wherever you sat in the auditorium. People just could not afford it, so we forgot what it was really about. How sad Jesus must be when we gather to pray and mumble over our sick aunts and travel mercies, without mentioning our dark places which threaten our salvation. Not that sick aunts and safe travel are unimportant, but that the deepest places in our souls are walled off like Fortunato.

The thought returns and returns over and over again:
"We can not embrace the Spirit of Christ while holding his body at arm's length."

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Where should we be freer to express transparently our needs? Church family. Can we? Many times, NO. How sad!

The very place we should feel the safest, where we should have security in love and encouragement and freedom from finger pointing is too often where we absolutely cannot take that chance. How sad!

My question is what can we do to change that scenario within our church families? How can hearts be changed to ones overflowing with love, grace and mercy? Where do we start?

Our church families should be hospitals for the suffering souls and hearts, not a place of sentencing and execution. How did we come to this attitude? Do we truly believe in God's redeeming blood and forgiveness? Do we only parrot or do we believe "...and forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors..."? How do we turn it around?

But enough of my rant. But it hurts my heart to know that there are those suffering but are so reluctant to let us know so we can minister to them.

btw-certainly am glad you're back, Jim and that you had a wonderful, resting vacation in the beauty of So. California. :)

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Great thoughts, brothers and sisters. I love that line, G-ampa C

"We can not embrace the Spirit of Christ while holding his body at arm's length."

My experience has been that when I have confessed to others, they welcomed and loved me and seemed so relieved that they're not the only ones who struggle like I do.

And I've found that confession begats confession. Maybe some Sunday we should have a confession and repentance time in the middle of the assembly.

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

do it Jim..that would be awesome..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home