Sunday, January 22, 2006

Last year I often noticed this book being advertised and was very curious about its title. Yesterday afternoon when I was browsing the new book section of the library, there it was. I knew it was time to check this book out and read it: Approval Addiction by Joyce Meyer. The subtitle will grab you: "Overcoming Your Need to Please Everyone."

Last night Susan and I had a peaceful evening sitting by the fire on a cold night, each reading our books. I was immediately drawn into Joyce's teaching, thinking that she had been reading my mail...or my e-mail...or this blog. She spoke so much to the struggles I've had over the years with people pleasing. Joyce says that an approval addict will have an abnormal concern and an abundance of thoughts about what people think of them.

I didn't think that people pleasing was such a problem with me -- until several years ago when I worked through a 12 steps program at our church. God led me to a sponsor, Keith Miller's excellent book on Christ-centered recovery (The Healing Journey) and a weekly group at our church called "Christians in Recovery." During that experience God revealed to me my drug of choice: co-dependency, being too tied to the approval of others.

This desire to have everyone like me comes out when I need to confront someone. I generally hate dealing with confrontation, although God is giving me some victories in this area lately. Of course, when you work with 70 different volunteers each month as I do, you must learn to deal with confrontation and conflict resolution or you won't survive!

I remember one time last year when a volunteer showed up one morning. She had been causing our other volunteers a lot of problems and so I knew that morning it was time to sit down and have a hard talk with her. I must have paced up and down the hallway three or four times before finally getting up the nerve to ask her to sit down with me so I could gently confront her with this problem.

You probably already know what Joyce Meyer proposes as the solution to approval addiction: finding our security through Jesus Christ. I love this line: "Knowing who we are in Christ sets us free from the need to impress others. As long as we know who we are, we don't have to be overly concerned about what others think of us."

Late last night, I looked over and noticed Susan asleep on the couch. I closed the book, got on my face as I laid on the floor next to the fireplace and meditated on the Father's love. And I asked Him to help me claim once more my identity in Jesus Christ and to be delivered from approval addiction.

My prayer for all of us this week: Lord Jesus, please deliver us from this desire to please others above pleasing You. Help us to live out that old Petra song: "I want to be a God pleaser. Don't want to be a man pleaser. I just want to do the things that please the Father's will." I ask that You instill deeply into our hearts an awareness that in Christ we are accepted by You, loved by You, valued by You. And that because we are accepted through the blood of Christ, our goal and calling is to live for an audience of One. And then may we speak the truth in love with others, even when we disagree with them or are engaged in conflict with them. In the mighty Name of Jesus Christ, our righteousness and our daily strength, Amen.

How about it bloggers? How has God helped you lately in overcoming this need to please others?

Still under construction,

Jim

5 Comments:

At 10:13 PM, Blogger Clint said...

I asked a missionary once why he was so successful in Africa. He told me about a conversation he had with a man over there. The man ultimately told my friend that they were more afraid of God than of man. I think here in the States we are more afraid of men than God. No mater what we say with our mouth our actions reveal our true desires. You can tell by the way we dress, the car we drive, and the people we hang out with. It concerns me to think we have deceived our self into believing that as long as we care we are doing something good. Actions speak louder than words. I pray with you.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Candy said...

I pray too. My deepest desire is to lose all fear of man, that I may truly become the person God wants me to be, irregardless of how that looks or sounds or whether anyone else accepts or rejects that persona. I want this desperately and so far I find I fail so miserably. But there is always hope because I know this is my Father's deepest desire for me, too.

 
At 5:55 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

Bill Cosby said once that he didn't know the key to success but he knew the key to failure is trying to please everyone.
Man, this has been a struggle of mine. Going to college has really helped me with dealing with this because its most certain you will run into a prof. or student who you just can't please. I use to just think satan used bad things to pull you away from God but alas satan uses things like people pleasing. I just pray when I come in contact with someone that God can please that person through me but its not the same "pleasing" I would usually do. I think its blessing someone through me...Well, Jim I hope this made since..its 5:30 and I just spent the weekend with the youth and a total of about 6 hours sleep all weekend...and let me tell ya WHAT A BLESSING IT WAS!

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Lauren said...

Jim,

This is an issue that I struggled with for the longest time until I realized that I only needed to please and praise the audience of One that you spoke of. This is a very pressing issue in the world today and I am glad that you felt that you could admit your own struggle. Isn't the freedom that comes after confessing something like that wonderful? Be blessed today. I love you.

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

After reading your comments, it made me thank the Lord that I'm not alone in this battle. Clint, I love what the missionary said.

Makes me think of that proverb: "Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe." -- Prov. 29;25


Also, "The righteous are as bold as a lion." (Prov. 28:1) I first really heard that powerful word when Bill McCartney quoted it at a Promise Keepers event in Denver.

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home