Friday, January 27, 2006

“Who makes mouths?”

Do you remember the first time you were thrust into a situation where you were way out of your comfort system? Where someone asked you to perform a task, give a speech, take on some project in which you felt terribly unqualified? So do I.

My dear friend, former co-worker and mentor Randy Becton often pushed me to do something which I would normally run from. We worked together in a media ministry for nine years. He was the one who urged me to write radio scripts, booklets and eventually two books. He believed in me and could sense some of my latent gifts that were being under-used.

Randy felt strongly that hurting people needed to hear the word and a message of hope...and not just read it. Sometimes he would pull me into his studio and challenge me to record a brief message about God's grace, or how to fight off depression or what to do when you don't sense that God loves you. I remember staring at that microphone while Randy adjusted all the knobs as he prepared to record an interview with me. I didn't want to do it. I felt like running. Yet Randy calmed me down as he led us in prayer and quoted one of his favorite verses when facing his own feelings of inadequacy, "'Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit.' says the Lord Almighty. (Zech. 4:6).

Note that description of the Lord -- the Lord Almighty! That's what I need to hear when facing moments where I feel like shrinking back from what the Lord is calling me to do. Knowing that the Lord Almighty has commissioned me and has promised to be with me helps me to not dwell on my weaknesses and insecurities...and to instead claim the power of the resurrected Jesus Christ in my life.

In my Bible reading this morning, I meditated on this fascinating story where the LORD called Moses to go back to Egypt and lead the children of Israel out of bondage. In order to insure Moses that He was with him, the Lord gave him some signs that He is truly the Lord Almighty. But Moses protested, telling the Lord of his lack of speaking ability. And then the Lord gives this wonderful response that I read over and over this morning:


"Who makes mouths?" the Lord asked him. "Who makes people so they can speak or not speak, hear or not hear, see or not see? Is it not I, the Lord? Now go, and do as I have told you. I will help you speak well, and I will tell you what to say." -- Ex. 4:11-12

Who makes mouths? Wow! What a great reminder when we're tempted to shrink back and not step out in faith into new adventures with the living God.

Lord, please keep our eyes fixed on You...and not on our weaknesses. Help us know that You made us and through Christ have re-made us. And that You have commissioned us to go to those who are in bondage to the enemy through their sin. Use us to lead many people out of their spiritual wilderness as we continue to be spokesmen and spokeswomen for You. Help us speak the gospel well. Anoint our lips and tongues with the power of the Holy Spirit so we can speak forth with boldness the good news of Jesus Christ. And may those to whom we speak have ears to hear. In Jesus we pray, Amen.

Jim

3 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

One time the Ladies Class called and wanted me to speak...I asked if they had the wrong number...Now, I can talk, but to a room full of ladies that seem to me had there spiritual stuff alot more together than me, uh no. I felt such self doubt but as I was drying my hair God just put on my heart what I was to say. In spite of me, God had a message that day and many came up to tell me what He had said to them. It was a revealing and humbling moment in time.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Great story, Bev. I praise God that You were obedient to Him and His call.

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Candy said...

The first time I told my story was in our class at church. I knew for two years before I did it that God was calling me to start there. It took me two years to get the courage to do it. I was totally freaking out until I walked outside early that Sunday morning and it had just rained and there in front of my eyes was a beautiful rainbow. A peace came over me as I claimed God's promises over my life. "I will never leave you or forsake you". It was one of the most powerful days in my life, one I'll never forget. Good one Jim.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home