Thursday, February 02, 2006

Time with the shepherds

What comes to your mind when you think of elders meetings? Have you ever been called to "meet with the elders?" Did this invitation elicit excitement and sweet anticipation in your heart -- or dread? ("Oh, know. I'm in trouble with the elders. What are they going to say to me?")

Years ago the thought of elders' meetings may have conjured up in our minds images of stern-faced men in dark suits sitting around a table making decisions. I hope that sort of board meeting model is fading away.

At my home church, Highland in Abilene, where my family has been for 15 + years, they at one time had such elders meetings. I've seen the old pictures of the men in their suits. And heard stories of many years ago where they sat around the proverbial table (yes, in their dark suits) making decisions. And yet I've had conversations with men such as Clois Fowler, a long-time Highland elder and deacon who shared with me many tales of the leadership at Highland. He described how even in "those days" the elders made some very courageous and Christ-centered decisions -- supporting Juan Monroy as a missionary (who was not brought to Christ through our fellowship and yet shared the dream of non-denominational Christianity); beginning Christian Homes, a wonderful adoption agency; becoming overseers of Herald of Truth, a media ministry where I worked for nine years; hiring Lynn Anderson, a young and progressive Canadian; and then for the next 19 years giving Lynn the freedom to preach expository sermons which often challenged traditional thinking.

Lynn Anderson and David Wray (an educational and spiritual formation minister for many years, as well as an elder at Highland) were used by God to help move our elders from the board meeting model to a shepherding model.

The last two years I've had the incredible privilege of serving with these men as a fellow shepherd. And I must say that our twice-a-month elders' meetings are always one of the highlights of my week. They are mostly ongoing prayer sessions. I think about last night...

1. Praying over and thanking God for Bryan and Becky Gibbs, for their work with the missiosn committee and the long-term impact Bryan has had in his work with Continent of Great Cities in recruiting teams to take the gospel to South America and beyond.

2. Having Wendell and Betty Broom come tell us of their latest missionary effort, as they prepare to head back to St. Petersburg, Russia to train leaders. In their golden years they don't indulge themselves with golf and bridge but instead continue investing in the kingdom.

3. Crying with and praying over a couple who have had a severe loss in their family.

4. Hearing some of our elders standing up and sharing some of their personal struggles and asking for the prayers of their fellow elders.

Yes, at times we are a decision-making body. However, since so much of the business decisions are made at the weekly Administrative elders meetings, our all-elder meetings are mainly about intercessory prayer. Anyone is invited to come for prayer, anointing and prayer for healing, to report on a new ministry, whatever.

I feel deeply privileged to be a part of this shepherd community. Yes, we're imperfect and make mistakes. But I truly believe it's a group of men who are seeking to be led by the Holy Spirit and to follow after the Good Shepherd --Who is the One ultimately overseeing this flock of sheep we call the Highland church.

Would you share with us any positive stories you have concerning elders meetings or being pastored by your shepherds?

Jim

7 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

I had my Elder call me about 3 months ago letting me know he was aware of the sad situation I was in. I was so touched by his phone call. I was weeping and he said that it must be hard to go through this and try to juggle everything else. He told me he would walk through this with me and be calling me regularly to check on me. I have not heard from him since that phone call. I am not bitter, but this situation only makes it more apparent that our Elders are precious but busy men...Some of those who are crying for help will not go to an Elder's meeting but just might need that Elder to come hold a hand for just a moment..
I guess that is not the positive you are asking for, but my cry to Elders is, all it takes is a 2 minute phone call or maybe just a note...Jim, I appreciate you and your wonderful example. I believe you will bless this church with your compassion.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Candy said...

I have to add that I don't have any stories either having never been to an elders meeting or had a phone call from one. There are times I wish I had taken the initiative to go be prayed over and didn't realize I could request such an experience. I do have very positive experiences with men who are elders - they just aren't assigned to my family, or vice versa. Which brings up another issue for me - I believe we should be able to choose our elders, maybe even those we already have relationships with instead of being assigned to one. I think in that way we would more readily call them to ask for help.

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Great point, Beverly. Shepherds need to do more than just say "Come to us." We need to be proactive about ministering to the flock and going to them and after them.

Seems like Jesus said something like that...

Jim

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

Jim,

I have had an experience or two like Beverly's, though not at Highland. It is hard when it happens. I think people want to help so much, but then...It's hard.

Highland has been the first place I have ever been, or even heard of, which truly utilizes their Elders as shepherds, rather than decision-makers and boundary keepers. I think it is wonderful! I love it that we are all assigned to an elder (though I am sorry when things like Beverly's situation happens); I love the Elder support that takes place through Brenda and (formerly) Joyce. So much work goes on to try to make sure that the needs of the Highland family are met.

About 4 years ago, we wrote our Shepherds a letter asking them to pray about the decision of whether to have a family or not. They called us, had us for dinner and prayed with us. Two months later we had God's answer, and now two daughters later, we still feel the confidence that God's will and blessing was asked for on our behalf by this couple. Their ministry to us has continued in smaller, though NOT less significant ways.

I also had such a great experience when I approached the Elders about Minister Appreciation Day. I had amazing support, and was so honored that these men I have such respect for were listening to, and even thanking, me. It was a great experience.

I think that it so important that we, as a Highland family, pray for and thank our Shepherds; their (yours) is not a task for the faint of heart, especially in discussions such as this, because I trust that not one Shephard would want to be the one that didn't make that phone call!

God's love, anointing and empowerment to each of our Elder's today. --Beverly

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Bev:

Ilove that story of the elders praying with you guys about having a family. Praise God for those precious daughters.

Yes, please pray for us shepherds! We need constant prayer cover!

Jim

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Katherine said...

I have been SO incredibly blessed already in my encounters with the shepherds at Highland...and that is exactly what you guys are: shepherds. I remember when I placed membership, you all prayed over me, and the longer I sat in that meeting the more I could see the love of Christ on your faces and feel the Spirit in the room; and felt compelled to share my struggles at the time of trying to find a job and answering the call to ministry, but not having a clue where to go. Now I have the best job ever at ACU and I am LOVING it!!

I will never forget that-it meant a lot to me that for such a large congregation, you all take time out for the new members and make them feel welcome. It was SO incredibly evident that you had amazing hearts and really cared for people.

Even though Mark Lewis is my elder ;), I still love you guys! There was another time when I called Mark on a Saturday night and really needed someone to pray with me-and he gathered a couple of elders and we met at Highland on a Sunday morning and they prayed over me. There was a time in my life where I would have been afraid to do that, but not with you guys.

You guys have hearts of gold and I appreciate the fact that you are allowing God to use and speak through you to shepherd His flock! You have made me feel at home at Highland, and I am looking forward to many more years of being in the fold. Thanks, Jim and I pray that God continues to bless you all as you seek His guidance~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home