Friday, February 03, 2006

With hands lifted high

A couple experiences the past 24 hours made me think of the power of intercessory prayer, along with a timely reading in my quite time this morning.

Last night Susan and I took our friend, Foy Jackson, out to the Baptist Encampment in Leuders, Texas. He was beginning his weekend-long Walk to Emmaus, which one person described as a plunge into the love of God. I know the experience well, having gone on a Walk and worked several of them. Why is it that God works so powerfully on people's hearts that weekend, and beyond, on these Walks? I'm firmly convinced it's because the Lord truly answers the prayers of His people. And what intense prayer there is those 72 hours! From Thursday night through Sunday afternoon, three people are in a prayer room at the camp from 7 a.m. - 11 P.M each day. And then there are people all over Abilene and elsewhere who are praying in 30 minute slots throughout the weekend -- 24/7.

Then I think of early this morning, praying with a few elders about some important things that are on our hearts. As I said in yesterday's post, this is a group of men, imperfect sinners as we are, who really believe that God hears the cries of His people.

On the way to the prayer session this morning, it seemed that the Lord brought to mind this passage that I had read a few minutes before:

"So Joshua fought the Amalekites as Moses had ordered, and Moses, Aaron and Hur went to the top of the hill. As long as Moses held up his hands, the Israelites were winning..."

A few years ago in some article or book I read how this story of Moses holding up his hands, while Joshua was leading the battle, serves as a wonderful metaphor for intercessory prayer. When we ask God to mend a marriage, protect one of our children from the evil one, heal a friend waiting on results from a lab report-- in essence, holding up our hands to heaven-- we're calling upon almighty God to fight a battle that we (or the one we're praying for) cannot win without divine intervention.

I'm reminded of our team of prayer warriors at Highland, led by Carolyn Dycus, who are continually interceding for our church family and the lost in Abilene and in different parts of the world. They continually call us to keep relying on the Holy Spirit and thus to persevere in prayer about everything we face. Last weekend they organized a 24 hour prayer vigil for the church as we asked God to bless our missions contribution. Once more the Lord was so faithful in answering our prayers. A goal was set for the church to give $196,000 towards missions. As of two days ago, $181,000 in checks, cash and pledges have already been given. And we're confident that the Lord will help us reach the goal as more money is given to this mission special. God is faithful.

I realize that at times we pray and we pray, and then things just don't turn out like we thought they would...or thought they should. The marriage collapses in spite of all our interceding. The person for whom we prayed doesn't survive cancer. The couple who asks us to pray for their funding towards their mission plans faces frustration when the money never comes in.

Yet isn't prayer more than just asking God to do what we want Him to do? Isn't it rather an experience of a relationship -- a reliance upon and a communion with Abba Father? He delights to hear His children come to Him, declaring our love for Him and deep dependence upon Him for everything we face.

For too many years my prayers were mainly, "Lord, please do this, help me with this.." I want to be more balanced in my prayer life, thanking the Lord and praising Him and surrendering to Him myself and my concerns for others. I want to turn over to God all these people and situations that I care for --asking God to do His will, and not carry out my agenda.

Isn't' the bottom line in our prayers that Jesus Christ be magnified in and through our lives and prayers, as His will is carried out?

What's been your experience in prayer lately? Tell us about a recent prayer victory. But I also want to know how you've gone deeper in your knowledge of Christ as you've been on your knee...and especially when you've been on a long-term journey persevering in prayer for someone or some situation that didn't seem to change.

I'd love to hear your story of what God has done in your life as you've lifted your hands up to heaven on behalf of others.

Praying for all of you today,

Jim

3 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

When my father died, I was 42. I never thought that I would be struck with such grief when he died, for in his living he was absent. He had broken my heart. When he died, I realized, so died the hope that we would ever have that relationship. It threw me into a very deep sadness. I don't know if you remember, when we lived in the country, we had this fire ring Merlin had built and a glider facing the west welcoming the sunset each evening. I was sitting alone on that glider and asked my Lord if He would just come sit by me. I needed him to be flesh for me at that moment. I promised Him I would tell noone that I had seen him face to face but I really needed him to sit with me. As I prayed this prayer, the wind began to blow, I looked up and saw the most beautiful sunset and I remember whispering, "Oh, there you are, thank you." It was a precious moment.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Candy said...

Thank you for sharing that, beverly.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

Jim,
One of my favorite stories of answered prayer is not recent, but still amazing to me. (Though why does God amaze us?)

One time, one of the houseparents at a children's home at which I worked was talking with her teenaged daughter. The young lady was struggling to accept that God loved her. The housemom asked her, "So what would it take to make you believe that God loves you. What would He have to do?" The young lady's reply encompassed the idea that she would really like some chocolate chip cookies.

In timing that could not be mistaken, they soon had a visitor at the door. It was a worker from a nearby camp which had just concluded. "We have this five gallons of chocolate chip cookie dough left---can you all use it?"

That stories gives me the courage to pray boldly...not wanting to test God, but to honestly talk with Him. At the same time, in my personal walk, it is hard to look at the wants I want Him to answer...they are all so self oriented...and at the same time see Katrina and Rita and Invisible Chilren and know where I, and what I would pray about, fit in.

But, while I figure it out, I am grateful to remember His faithfulness to one teenaged girl and her housemom. Cookies, anyone?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home