Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Saved to praise

I think I was about 10 years old. My godmother (I was raised a Catholic) took my sister, brother and me to see a blockbuster film. It was playing at the 101 Drive-In Theater in Ventura, California --my hometown (I miss those old Drive-ins). She wanted us to see the movie, "The Ten Commandments."

All of us remember Cecille DeMille's classic film -- where Charleton Heston, that is Moses, lifted his staff and the waters of the Red Sea parted. Pretty amazing special effects for the early '60's --long before George Lucas and his Industrial Light and Magic team were around to do their computerized wonders on film.

That scene flashed back to me this morning as I was taking a shower. I had just read Exodus 14 and 15 for my quiet time. It was so fascinating to read of how the Lord kept hardening Pharoah's heart for this purpose -- that almighty God would receive the glory He deserves to receive.

"I will harden the hearts of the Egyptians, and they will follow the Israelites into the sea. Then I will receive great glory at the expense of Pharaoh and his armies, chariots, and charioteers. " -- Ex. 14:15

These past few mornings I've been reading about all the plagues. Over and over the Bible said that the LORD hardened Pharoah's heart. Then in Exodus 14 we read why the Lord did this -- so that He might receive glory! And oh how He did!

Can you picture in your mind that scene again from the movie? All the Israelites going safely through the sea on dry land -- and then the Egyptian army being swallowed up and drowned as the walls of water crashed down on them.


The song of praise in Ex. 15:1-17 is an awesome description of how powerful and majestic the Lord is:

Your right hand, O Lord,
is glorious in power. - Ex. 15:6


It made me think of how the deliverance of the God's people from the bondage of Egyptian slavery is such a beautiful metaphor of how Christ delivers us from Satan's clutches --- when we put our faith in Jesus Christ. Try this -- read Ex. 15:1-17 and apply it to how Jesus has rescued you from the clutches of the enemy. And how He loves you, since you are part of His chosen people, grafted in through His grace by faith in Jesus. I love this promise:

"With unfailing love you will lead
this people whom you have ransomed.
You will guide them in your strength."


I'm wondering if our hearts would be filled more with praise to our God if each day we dwelled on the truth that through Jesus' sacrifice we have been delivered from our sin. Rescued. Redeemed. And now deeply loved by the Father.

Because of my early bondage to legalism and thinking I wasn't such a bad person, I don't think I really grasped the reality of my salvation and the awesomeness of Jesus and the cross -- until He woke me up to the gospel and His amazing grace. He made me see that I was a sinner saved by nothing I had done...saved by "nothing but the blood of Jesus."

When did God put a song of praise in your heart, when you realized that you were saved by grace? That He delivered you from your own "Egyptian bondage?"

Jim

3 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

Man, I remember the scene that made such an impact on me was when they worshipped idols while Moses was on the mt. I was like, come on people don't you remember the Red Sea...but now I know that I forget the Red Sea at times...I am sorry Lord...

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

Jim,
I am glad you have started your blog and have enjoyed it and appreciated your transparancy so much!

Several years ago I learned to listen to the songs that the Spirit places in my mind, and to listen for the message in the words. I sometimes find I am prompted to praise, and at other times I recognize my humble state and need for strength.

This week, my "Aha!" moment was when studying about Abraham sending Hagar and Ishmael away. God told Abraham to not worry, and later it says God was with Ishmael.

My moment of praise was in realizing that God, who always does as He says, was then, indeed with Ishmael. But the overall outcome was/is one of only earthly power and partial truth. Though I don't totally "get that", I did have a fresh understanding of the fact that God has called us closer, into a new and different covenant--the one reconciliation and redemption---where His presence with us provides blessings of truth, the Fruit of His Spirit (love and joy, not hostility), and the unfathomable riches of the promise of heaven.

My song of late, "Great is Thy Faithfulness". My conviction: I will begin to pray for so much more...no more simple "God be with..." when He has offered and promises so much more. --Beverly McCallon

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

I love to hear your hearts, my friends. And the depth of your insights into our faith walk with the Father.

It's so interesting how God uses songs/ hymns to speak deeply to our souls. And to some of us (Lynette) our bodies!

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home