Monday, February 27, 2006

Heading Home

I'm eating breakfast with my brother and sister-in-law early Monday morning in Ventura, Calif. Preparing to drive to the LA. airport, hop on a plane and head back to Texas. What a week it's been! So much to ponder, process and pray over. Yesterday I attended a funeral with my mother and brother -- for a long-time friend of my parents. His step-children were four "kids" that I grew up with in my first neighborhood. These moments really get you to think about your life, your death, your purpose in life.

I thouht back to a journal entry I made a week ago on the first day of this trip. Here are some excerpts:

"As I was driving down the San Diego Freeway and then Highway 5, witnessing the beautfy of Irvine, San Juan Capistrano, etc, I wondered why I left all this beautfy of Southern California. As I sit here at Vista Point, looking at the Pacific Ocean and hearing the seagulls, it hit me -- 27 years ago I left Calif. and moved to Dallas. And I lived here 27 years before leaving this gorgeous state. Would I trade staying here for moving away 27 years ago? No way! I would never have met my beloved bride, Susan. Never have had Aaron and Shannon, our children. Wouldn't have had all those experiences of living in different parts of the country. There would never have been all those mission trips to Mexico and the three campaigns to Brazil. I wouldn't have been at my beloved church, Highland.

Lord, as much as I love visiting here in Southern California, I rest in and trust in Your sovereignty that You have placed me for now in Abilene, Texas. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Have you ever thought of how your life would be so different if you had never left home and tried some place new? There's a passage in Acts that says that God has appointed man to live in a certain place. I want to rest more in God's loving grace and direction. And let Him use me where He places me. To the praise of His glory.

If you read this post this morning, please pray for my safety as I fly home. Can't wait to see my precious bride tonight at the Abilene airport!

In His grip,

Jim
Jim

2 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Blogger Clint said...

now that's Faith

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

Well!! How about my latest gaff. I welcomed you home on yesterday's entry. Humpf!

Nevertheless, welcome home, Jim. You've been missed and yes, I'm praying for travel mercies and a safe into-beloved's-arms arrival!
:O)

Kathy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home