Friday, March 10, 2006

Soaking in God's word

I wrote a post early this morning about contemplative prayer. But alas...as I checked it at the end of my work day, I couldn't find it. Guess I didn't hit the right button.

Anyway, here's a short version of what I can recall from my earlier, "lost letter."

Last night when I woke up at 4 A.M. and couldn't sleep, I decided to curl up in my favorite chair and read the last few pages of the section on meditating on Scripture in Ruth Barton's book, Sacred Rhythms. I love this book the more I read it. She describes how to practice Lectio Divina, a fancy Latin term for what others call contemplative prayer. I like to think of it as soaking in God's word. It's so different from studying the Bible with your mind. It's letting Christ speak to you through His word into your heart!

I felt led to read over and over Phil. 4: 13-19. And as I asked God to lead me to a particular verse, this one seemed to be highlighted yellow. Describing the generous support of the Philippian church, Paul says, " I amply supplied." Whenever I start worrying about money I need to raise for the ministry I lead, I need to go back to that verse. Thinking of God's faithfulness over the past 27 years as a Christ-follower, I realize how He repeatedly supplied all my needs amply! Whether it was as an individual, for my family or for the various churches or ministries where I worked. God has truly supplied all my needs in Christ Jesus! (Phil. 4:19)

The more I pondered the word of God and let the Holy Spirit speak into my heart, the more peaceful I felt. And I gradually fell asleep while soaking and basking in God's promises.

May you soak all weekend...and each day...in the wonderful promises of God.

Drenched in His love,

Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home