Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Power of old hymns

What is it about older Christian hymns that are so powerful? My sister-in-law from Keller, TX, Tami Weaver, says that one reason they're so effective is because of the great theology in them. I love "Rock of Ages," especially the new updated version by Wes King. Many times God has used this song to bring me to the foot of the cross, reminding me that my salvation totally depends on what Jesus did for me. "Nothing in my hand I bring, simply to the cross I cling."

Yesterday a few of us witnessed once more the power of one of these hymns. A good of friend of Susan and me, Carol Riordan, suffered the loss of her brother, who lived in Abilene. Willard Tate and I conducted the funeral. And God blessed the whole service.

What was especially touching to so many of us, based on the comments of many people there after the service, was the song, "I Will Sing of My Redeemer." We played the version done by Fernando Ortega, from his CD, Hymns of Worship. Wow! What a incredible voice he has. The chapel was filled with the beauty of his voice, the guitar and orchestration. And what great lyrics! -- (you might sing these words rather than just read them):

"I will tell the wondrous story, how my lost estate to save,
In His boundles love and mercy, He the ransom freely gave.
Sing, O Sing of my Redeemer! With His blood He purchased me.
On the cross He sealed my pardon, paid the debt and made me free."

Our friend, Carol, went to a Christian bookstore with my wife yesterday afternoon and bought two copies of this Fernando Ortega CD (the rest of the songs are excellent, including the very moving last song, "Just Give Me Jesus," which, by the way, we played at the end of yesterday's funeral).

I'd love to know what older hymns especially speak to your soul. Perhaps you have a story to tell of when the Lord used that hymn to minister His loving grace to you.

And I'd also like to hear of some other CD's you know of that are great contemporary updates of older hymns.

Singing of my Redeemer,

Jim

7 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

My God and I---
We took my Mom to Oregon with us and everytime she saw something beautiful, she would sing this song. Of course, she didn't remember all the words but it was sweet..

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Thanks, Mitzi, for those great memories. I love those stories about your father (and Beverly, about your mother). And you're right about Rod being Highland's story teller.

Wouldn't it be cool if a small group got together one evening to sing songs from a book (there's a novel idea in our Power Point age) and before we sing each song, have a person in the group share a memory/ faith story of why that song is so meaningful to them.

Jim

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Deb said...

Wow, Mitzi is a soul sister with her comments today. I think as I grow older, and more precious people in my life have joined the choir on 'the other side', a lot of these old Church of Christ hymns and their messages/theology take on a certain dearness and depth.

It's easy for me just to cry when I see the titles of these hymns, because none of them are sung or known where I now live. How John and I would love to be in a group where these were sung! I played a Zoƫ group CD to my adult choir and to our home group, and everyone in both groups got excited and made the same polite remark I was so not expecting: 'Oh, that's American Barbershop!'. I was gutted for a month.

Thanks, Jim for this post. And thanks, Mitzi, for paralleling the warm teary memories. If you guys decide to record one of your group singings, send it on over here!

Love ya!

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Tailpipe Terry said...

Jim,
I was just 10 years old when my mother died of cancer. I still have vivid memories of the church singing "Abide with Me" at her funeral. I love the last verse: "Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes; Shine thru the gloom, and point me to the skies; Heaven's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee; In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me!"
I just wish the words to those old songs would come as easy as the melody does.
Another favorite line: "O what piece we often forfeit, O what needless pain we bear, All because we do not carry Everything to God in prayer."

 
At 2:34 AM, Blogger Deb said...

As a teenager, it seemed whatever C of C youth group I was in, we wold all raise our voices a bit higher and with MOLTO emotion when we would sing the following two songs:
1. 'How shall the young secure their hearts and guard their lives from sin ...'
2. 'Angry words -- o let them never -- from the tongue unbridled slip ...'
Don't know why, but I always had visions of Jesus riding Black Velvet when we got to the 'unbridled slip' bit -- how could anyone be angry with the beauty of that??

Ah, memories!

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

I love the book idea!

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

Mitzi Adams,this is Beverly, post something on your blog. I would love to hear what my partner in crime (leuders memories), has to say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home