Tuesday, April 04, 2006

He Gave Himself for me

This past weekend at our garage sale I made two purchases -- used books. I rarely buy stuff at garage sales because I hate accumulating more stuff in my house. But good used books? How could I resist?

One of them was titled The Incomparable Christ by J. Oswald Sanders. I immediately turned to a chapter that I've been meaning to read the past three days. I read it finally early this morning -- "The Atoning Work of Christ." Here are a few nuggets from that chapter:

"The death of our Lord was unlike every other death. It was not an incident in His life, but the very purpose of it. "

"At the cross, God took the initiative and so dealt with sin in His Son, that now He can justify the repenting sinner and and not compromise His holy character." (quoting James Denney)

"Some way must be found for mercy and justice to meet -- and this they did in the transaction of the cross."

"Is repentance in fact all that is necessary to forgiveness? Does it remove the consequences of sin?...Sin demands the punishment of the offender or the death of a substitute."

This last quote made me think of what I read in the paper this morning. A jury delivered a verdict that the Al Qaeda conspirator in the September 11 attacks, Zacarias Moussaoui, is eligible for the death penalty. What if Moussaoui said he was sorry for his involvement in the devastating loss of lives in the Twin Towers, the Pentagon and the plane that went down in Pennsylvania? What if he said he would change and never do that again? Would a jury be satisfied? Would our country feel vindicated? Of course not. We want him to pay for his terrible crime!

I also thought of what I've been reading in Numbers and Deuteronomy in my daily morning Bible reading. I had never noticed before in reading the Old Testament how much emphasis there was on sacrifices! The Israelites were continually shedding the blood of animals and offering them on the altar before Almighty God. They knew they were guilty of sin and pleaded with God for forgiveness. The Lord ordered that a substitute die for their sins.

And yet Hebrews 10:3 says that "those sacrifices are an annual reminder of sins, because it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins." We desperately need a substitute -- and His Name is Jesus!

"when I tried to keep the law, I realized I could never earn God’s approval. So I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ. I myself no longer live, but Christ lives in me. So I live my life in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." -- Gal. 2:19-20

"He gave himself for me. He gave himself for me." That would be a good phrase to repeat over and over throughout the day.

I need a substitute. My repentance isn't enough to secure my salvation. My trying hard to do better won't cut it. All that I do for others won't atone for my sins. Only the sacrifice of Jesus can (and has!) taken away my sins.

When I think of how Christ died for me, I must tell others. I can't but help to tell others -- that mercy and grace and forgiveness and eternal life are found, and found only, at the foot of the cross. Hallelujah!

Captivated by the cross,

Jim

4 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Blogger Lauren said...

Amen:) It goes beyond my human mind to think and KNOW that the Father sees me only as pure and blameless before his throne, because of the nails He took for my sinful soul.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Amen, as John Elliott says in his song, "How great His love must be!"

Jim

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger G'ampa C said...

Jim-
You touched on a tender subject with me. I know me and know my many faults and secrets, as I'm sure we all can say. Praise the Lord that He does not treat me as my sins deserve (Psalm 103)!! Why was I blessed above most others in the world when I was born into a family where the love of Jesus was present?? Why did I rate a birth in America, instead of Iraq or Syria or Egypt? Our enemies there did not have such a great luxury; they were born into families where Jesus is, at best, just another prophet out of hundreds. At worst, He is the one who died 2000 years ago and the infidels worship stupidly. They are taught to hate us as a religious activity, like we might be taught the books of the Bible as small children. It is only by the grace of God that I am here and not there. I think, maybe, that Jesus was wholly aware of this relationship when He said "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, THAT YOU MAY BE SONS OF YOUR FATHER IN HEAVEN". Think of the depth in that!! We have it really, really good. If I understand Grace correctly, our enemies, no matter what they have done, have as much right to the saving blood of Jesus as I do, because their sins are no worse than mine in God's sight. Jesus died for them, too, but they will most likely never hear the truth about who Jesus is. Could I be a Moussaoui today if I was born in Iran or Iraq to parents of Islam faith?? It is humbling to realize that we are at war with people who do not know Jesus. I won't speak for or against the war, that is not my point, and I don't want to open that can of worms. I am just more and more convinced that when we pray for our servicemen in war-torn areas, our next breath should be to pray that our enemies would come to know and accept Jesus (war over, end of story). Do I do that every time? Unfortunately, no. In my stronger moments I do, and I grieve the loss of lives without salvation. What would the Islam religion (as a whole) think if they found out we prayed for them every day in worship?? How might it change us? How might it change them?? Would it test our collective faith to face a repentant and saved Moussaoui in the church pew next to us?? I wonder.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Excelent, point, G-ampa C. Quite honestly, I don't pray for Muslims. But that is exactly what we need to do...what I need to do. As Jesus says, "Pray for those who persecute you."

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home