Monday, April 03, 2006

The Lord is good

I can still see the passionate look on her face. The intensity of her voice. As Karen told me of what God had done in her family's life, she said,"Jim, the Lord is SO good. He is SO good." Karen and her family had joined us for lunch at Rosa's Cafe yesterday. Her son knows my daughter at ACU and she was here in town with her family. Her other son, Caleb, a special needs teenager, was sitting between us as Karen went on and on about the goodness of God in her life. And right in front of Caleb she said, "I know the Lord has special plans for Caleb."

Early this morning I recalled that conversation. And then I began to recount the goodness of the Lord -- in just what I saw Him do this past weekend.

1. Susan had her "Christian girls" reunion at our house all weekend. Years ago they were in an afternoon class in Susan's home, taught by her mother. For the last three years they've hada reunion at different women's homes. This year it was Susan's turn to be the host. She worked so hard in preparing the house, the menus, and the activities. And God blessed the whole weekend. Some of them said they felt such peace in our house. I know it's because our housecleaner, Janie, prays over the house as she cleans. The Lord is so good.

2. Our Brazil 2006 team had a garage sale Friday afternoon and Saturday. God blessed us with so many items to sell - including a bunch of nice furniture. And though it was a lot of work, our team (adults and teenagers) had so much fun and joy working together. The Lord blessed us with $6,800! The Lord is so good.

3. Late Saturday morning, I felt the need to retreat for a few minutes and pray over the garage sale. I asked a couple volunteers to come with me to Highland's prayer room. Two of our Brazil team members came with me. I thought we were going to pray mainly that God would bless our garage sale financially. But God had another agenda. These women's prayers were focused primarily on our being witnesses for Jesus to all those coming to the sale to buy things. "Lord, let them see You in us as we treat our customers with love and grace."

After the prayer time, these grace-filled women both shared their testimonies of what God had done in their lives. What amazing stories they told about the healing and delivering power of Jesus Christ. The Lord is good.

4. Sunday morning at Highland was another joy-filled experience. Mike Cope preached on Matthew 7:7-13, pointing out the character of God -- how He loves us not because of our worth. And how He calls His disciples to love God and love others. Love is the marker of the Christian!

Then we had another great Financial Peace class -- hearing the testimony of one couple who told how the Lord really changed their financial situation in a positive direction when they realized that "their" money was actually God's money. We're merely stewards of the money entrusted to us by God. After the main session, we were dismissed to our small groups. This same couple led us in a very honest group discussion where we confessed some of our financial blunders and encouraged one another towards more responsible use of God's money. We're already seeing some victories in this area of finances. The Lord is good.

5. To top off the evening our daughter had about 15 college students (along with Karen and her family) over to our house for a birthday party for one of Shannon's buddies. What a joy it was to see all these college freshmen crammed into our kitchen and living room, playing with balloons, eating cake, laughing and taking what seemed like hundreds of digital photos of each other. Susan and I went to bed while they were still out in the living room, exhausted from the busy weekend but with such thankful hearts. The Lord is SO good.

This song ran through my mind this morning, "For You are good, for You are good, for You are good to me." Amen...and amen.

As you look back on this past weekend or past week, how have you seen the goodness of the Lord in your life?

With a thankful heart,

Jim

5 Comments:

At 11:18 AM, Blogger Deb said...

I just cannot believe Shannon is at ACU! Please ask her if she has met my neice, also a freshman there this year: Aubrey Weldon.

Thanks always for your positive outlook. Blessings!

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Thanks, Deb. I'll pass your comment onto our daughter. See if she knows Aubrey.

Jim

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

The goodness of the Lord is so clear to us now through the community of faith at Highland. In this challenging time, we are experiencing the care and concern of others. People are "signing on" to walk through this journey with us. God is good.

Might I also add the blessing of hearing my 3 year old sing, "Our God weigns"!

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger G'ampa C said...

Well, you asked for it...
God is very good. Friday after lunch, my wife and I set out for HEB Camp. We talked all the way down there, which was a blessing. Then we checked in and met friend after friend coming into camp for the retreat. We spent the weekend with about 235 family members, some of whom we had not met before. This family is made up of adults with and without kids, older married folks, single folks, widows and widowers, babies, children, college students... you name it. I watched parents relax and play because everyone was watching out for their children. I saw people praying for no official reason. I stayed up and talked about Spiritual things with a dear brother until 2:30am, and was not tired the next morning! There was a sense in me that the Lord was occasionally walking through the camp, just to enjoy it. I was the recipient of numerous random hugs, and managed to give a few myself. People fished and waded and hiked and canoed and played 42 and cards and spoons (a very noisy game, I might add). All the while, I just know God was smiling. People voluntered to help with cooking and cleaning up even though they were not assigned to do it. I watched some very talented kids at the talent show.
But Sunday morning..... that was a special morning. Sunday God filled Echo Valley full to the top with his blessing and grace as we shared in the communion of the Saints with hugs and smiles and tears and song. We saw the Body of Jesus all around and He gave us a piece of Glory. We were family in ways that are beyond rational explanation. I realized that Echo Valley is a very deep valley, and our God is very, very good, indeed.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Thanks, Beverly and G'ampa C for your stories of the goodness of God.


G-ampa C, reading your vivid description of HEB camp made me feel like I experienced the weekend with all of you. Perhaps my family's favorite memories at Highland are from those weekend camps at H.E.B with the body of Christ at Highland.

I love to read what you write. God has blessed you with a gift in writing, my brother. Keep at it.

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home