Friday, September 22, 2006

Songs of joy and praise

Last night Susan took me to an Audio Adrenaline/Mercy Me Concert. She won the tickets and so how could I resist? I feel a bit old going to these concerts -- the median age last night at the Exposition Center seemed to be about 16. Some may have wondered what "Granpa" was doing in the stands occasionally standing up and clapping. But even though it was very loud, it really was fun. And when Mercy Me had us sing with them and led us in some praise songs, to me the concert turned into more of a worship service.

Near the end of the concert, while they were leading us in "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus," many people were standing, holding up their cell phones and swaying with the music. Looking up at the stands across from me, watching hundreds of small lights moving back and forth, while hearing this gorgeous "rock hymn" praising God, a memory flash backed to me.

It was 1972. Long Beach, California. My friend Larry went with me to a "Who" concert. The place was packed. Roger Daltrey, Peter Townsend and the rest of the band were really rocking. And the indoor stadium was filled with smoke. Not a fog blasted from the stage but smoke from hundreds of marijuana joints being lit up. Yes, I was definitely in a different world back then. blinded by sin and living for pleasure. It would be a few years later before Jesus came into my life -- when I finally let Him in.

Colossians 1 comes to mind: "he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves." Thank you, Lord, for how You brought me into Your light.

What a joy to see this contrast last night. Watching young people jumping up and down, dancing before the Lord, singing of their redeemer. There was such joy, such peace, such jubilation!

The final encore song of Mercy Me seemed to sum up well what I was experiencing. It was a rousing edition of "Goodbye Self." What we experienced last night through the music, the videos, singing during the worship songs, dancing -- it was because we've been changed by Jesus. And when He comes in we say "goodbye self" .. and what a difference He makes in our lives.

It makes this "old" guy want to sing, and raise my hands...and maybe even dance.

Jim

2 Comments:

At 10:08 PM, Blogger Agent B said...

I don't know...

I can't say anything about mercy me or the other band. Never heard them.

But I find more prophetic truth in The Who than all of christian radio combined.

Won't Get Fooled Again...?!?

Behind Blue Eyes...!! I can rarely get through that one without tears.

Maybe Townsend & co planted seeds in your spirit back in '72...Behind Blue Eyes could acurately describe your neighbors at the CCS.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Beverly said...

Sam went and loved it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home