Monday, September 18, 2006

What Would I Do With a Windfall?

I always have a hard time picking out a DVD at the rental store. So many choices, and of course you have to sort through all the trashy films. Susan and I were at Box Office Video late Saturday afternoon. We each had one we wanted to watch. Susan picked "Millions," because she had read on Christianity Today's website that it was one of the top films of 2005 that has a theme of redemption. As I looked at the cover and read the credits and the synopsis about it, I was a bit reluctant. But I finally gave into her judgment and went with her choice. I'm so glad I did.

It's a British film, somewhat quirky, about a boy who comes upon a huge pile of money near his playhouse. His brother starts picking out all sorts of things he could buy. And yet the hero of the storywanted to look for poor people and give the money away. Although there are a few odd moments, including appearances of saints that only this boy sees, it really carries a tremendous message about greed, compassion and going against the grain.

The ending blew us away. I couldn't help crying.

As I was thinking about this film this morning, two other things came to mind. I thought of John Grisham's The Testament, another wonderful story about the contrast of those who are clinging to the world's goods and a missionary in Brazil who loved Jesus and the lost more than earthly comforts.

And I recalled an interview I read a few months ago of Rick Warren. He who wrote the multi-million bestseller, The Purpose Driven Life. Rick has made a ton of money off that book, but he and his wife have not changed their lifestyle. Haven't made any major purposes. He decided to pay his church back all the salary they had paid him in the 26 years he's led that church. And now he and his wife do a "reverse tithe" -- they give away 90% of their income.

As I think about this film, the missionary in The Testament and the Warrens, I must ask myself, "What would I do with a windfall?" My first impulse would probably to pay off the house, buy Susan a new car and some bedroom furniture, purchase some digital photography equipment that I've had my eye on the past year, and then invest the rest. I'm wondering, though, if I went against the grain of my fleshly impulses and instead gave most (or all of it) away to the poor. That would please the Lord and bless so many people in need. And I might feel even more free.

At the wonderful Michael Card concert at ACU yesterday afternoon, one song that particularly gripped me was about what happens when we let go of the world's goods and let Jesus be our greatest treasure. In the chorus, Michael sang about how FREE we would be ifwe opened up our hands and hearts to the Jesus...and stopped clinging to stuff. Stuff that Jesus tells us will rust or be stolen by robbers.

Even if I never received a windfall, how do I manage "my" money today? Do I really need more things? Must I put more money away in retirement? And will I trust God enough to provide that I'd be willing to become an extravagant giver?

The look on the face of the young boy in the film "Millions," when he gave his money to the poor, said it all. It was an expression of joy, of freedom.

And isn't that what Jesus will give us when we want Him more than anything else that this fallen world has to offer? And thus become "hilarious givers" for His glory?

The words of 1 John 2 from The Message comes to mind:

Love of the world squeezes out love for the Father. Practically everything that goes on in the world, -- wanting your own way, wanting everything for yourself, wanting to appear important -- has nothing to do with the Father. It just isolates you from hmj. The world and all its wanting, wanting, wanting is on the way out -- but whoever does what God wants is set for eternity.

Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home