Friday, October 27, 2006

Idol Avoidance

Late yesterday afternoon I looked over at my credenza and noticed that it was cluttered with too much stuff. It seemed clear that it was time to do some "fall cleaning." I ended up throwing away many unnecessary things, giving away books, and placing family photos on the credenza.

In the process I came across an old booklet tucked away on my bookshelf titled, "Keep Yourself from Idols." It's written by one of my favorite evangelical writers -- J.I. Packer. About 25 years ago, this British theologian with a razor sharp mind and heart full of Christ wrote the mega-bestseller, Loving God.

The title of this booklet came to mind early this morning as I read this verse in Jeremiah:

Compared to him, all people are foolish
and have no knowledge at all!
They make idols, but the idols will disgrace their makers,
for they are frauds.
They have no life or power in them.
Idols are worthless; they are lies!
The time is coming when they will all be destroyed. -- Jer. 51:17-18

I need this reminder every day because idolatry can so quickly invade my heart. It's so easy to put my trust in money, or my job, or my talents -- and even though I may be unconscious about this, I cane make them into little idols. And forget that there is "no power in them. "Idols are worthless; they are lies!"

Of course, the most obvious idol that we all face is greed. My Master tells me to be on guard against this craving after more riches. In Colossians the Lord tells us through Paul, "Don’t be greedy for the good things of this life, for that is idolatry."

Do you struggle like I do with trying to plan for retirement and save money while being concerned that savings or IRA's can become an idol? One thing that helps me in this area is to try to more freely give money away. Author Richard Swenson says that one of the best ways to break the power of money over our lives is to continue giving it away. Being a cheap Scotsman that I am, this is quite a challenge for me. I really need the Lord to work on me in this area.

When I do give away money or things, I feel more in touch with the Lord -- it gives me the sense that I'm trusting Him to provide. I feel the pleasure of His Spirit within me as I give to others.

As we freely share with others the gifts that God has entrusted to us, then I think we'll experience more of the truth of these others words from Jeremiah:

The God of Israel is no idol!
He is the Creator of everything that exists,
including his people, his own special possession.
The LORD Almighty is his name! -- Jer. 51:19

And what could we have that is any better than this -- to know deep in our souls that through Jesus Christ we are "his own special possession."

Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home