Thursday, November 02, 2006

Cause vss.a Relationship

Last night I ran into a friend who also leads a non-profit. He is a true go getter who always manages to raise a lot of money through government grants. Every time I visit with him it seems that what's going on in his organization far exceeds the ministry I lead in terms of its world-wide scope. Quite frankly, after hearing of all the money he's raising, I felt like what I do is so small in comparison.

Then I read something last night in Dudley Hall's wonderful book, Grace Works, that gave me the perspective I need:

"The best and most effective leaders are those who have ceased striving and entered into rest with Jesus. ...There is no striving or labor -- just love looking for expression. Most of all, their zeal for causes has been swallowed by a passion for intimacy with God."

This quote and the rest of the chapter made me think that I don't need to compare myself with other leaders or ministries. Rather, my focus is to be on Jesus and experiencing a deepening relationship with Him. And then to let my leadership and ministry to others flow out of that relationship.

I don't want to live for just a cause -- whether it's as a leader at the Christian Service Center, an elder at Highland, or a short-term missions worker in Brazil. I want to live for Christ and enjoy that intimacy with Him. And then do everything motivated by love for Him and love for others.

I just have a sense that if my goal is Christ-energized love, He will take care of the rest. Regardless of what others may be doing "greater" than me.

Jim

2 Comments:

At 2:46 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

Jim, dear brother in Him,

What WOULD the poor, hungry, poorly clothed of Abilene do if your ministry went international?

I firmly believe God blesses each ministry and its unique purpose and goal. And, btw, there is something to be said [or has it already been said?] about taking care of those of your own house/neighborhood/city. :)

Your ministry respects and builds up the personal pride of each client - there is a familial intimacy at the CSC that other, huge [and also needed] organizations cannot offer.

We are blessed in Abilene by you, your staff and volunteers, and your ministry!!

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Thanks, Kathy, you minister of encouragement.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home