Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Sinking Deep into Our Hearts

An image is burned into my mind. It was 25 years ago. Susan and I were newlyweds, living in a small frame house in Searcy, Arkansas where I was studying for the ministry and Susan was teaching social work. Early each morning I noticed Susan practiing this habit of reading her Bible and praying. Her example of having a quiet time had a great impact on me.

Up to the time we got married, my times with God were sporadic, hit and miss. Susan’s quiet example prompted me to start having a quiet time each day. Early in the morning works best for me. I tend to be more receptive to hearing God’s voice at that time of day. And I’ve found that there is something about beginning a day with time in God’s word that sets me in the right direction and puts me in the right frame of mind.

During that time of my life I read a fascinating description of what Jesus did: “Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.” – Mark 1:35. Jesus craved that time with the Father. I realized with Christ living in me that I needed that time with the Father, too. Every day.

In Ezekiel 1, the Lord commands this prophet: “Son of man, let all my words sink deep into your own heart first. Listen to them carefully for yourself. Then go to your people in exile and say to them, ‘this is what the Sovereign Lord says!

I love that imagery – allowing the words of God to “sink deep into your heart.” Hebrews 3 gives this admonition to us as believers in Christ: “Today you must listen to his voice.” The writer repeats this phrase seven verses later. Listen to His voice.

I desperately need to hear the word of the Lord each day. For me, it is especially vital for my growth in Christ to listen to His word early in the morning -- before the phone calls, e-mails or conversations come my way. And it’s not a duty for me. It is an absolute joy to feed on Christ and let His Spirit fill me as I feed on His word.

So many voices come our way each day -- through television, the internet, other people. Yet there is One voice that this sheep especially needs to hear from his Shepherd each day. And then to follow this one who calls me to draw closer to Him and experience His loving presence.


Jim

2 Comments:

At 10:48 PM, Blogger Steve said...

I just listened to Tony Campolo (who spoke tonight at Harvard) say he wakes up and simply quiets his heart, shutting out the thousands of "animals" that are fighting for his attention. He begins to repeat the name of Jesus over and over because, as he puts it, "there's just something about that name that centers your heart on God and shuts everything else out."

I love the imagery (from you and Tony both) of quieting your spirit before God and expecting him to speak. Listening to God. So often we come to God with a laundry list of requests or with an agenda (I have to read this many chapters ... pray for this long ... etc...) instead of quieting ourselves and letting God set the agenda. I am aweful at this (sporadic, as you put it), but I am praying that God will work on my heart ... and my discipline ... to seek him first each morning.

Thanks for the post, Jim.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Thanks, Steve. I've also heard Tony describe how he begins that day. I love that --focusing on the Name of Jesus. So simple,and yet so powerful.

So good to hear from you, my brother.

Jim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home