Thursday, December 21, 2006

Passionate and Strong

I've never been loved more by another human than I have by my bride of 25 plus years. When I look into Susan's eyes, I sense her deep love and commitment to me. As I watch her run around buying Christmas gifts for her family, friends and extended family, I witness a woman who really knows how to love others. Of course, this love comes from the deep well of God's love for her in Christ. It's a manifestation of the Holy Spirit working in her heart.

Have you ever thought of God's love for you being that strong -- and even stronger? I was reading Zechariah this morning and came across a verse I don't recall ever really seeing. After the angel of the Lord told this prophet about the Lord's anger at His people for all their sin, he instructs Zechariah to declare this good news:

“Shout this message for all to hear: ‘this is what the LORD Almighty says: My love for Jerusalem and Mount Zion is passionate and strong." -- Zech. 1:14 (Emphasis mine)

Passionate and strong. That is the love that Father God has for His covenant people. When I was in Bible Study Fellowship and we were working our way through the Minor Prophets, our teaching leader would urge us to look for God's character when studying the Old Testament. That's what I did again this morning while reading this minor prophet. I see God's holiness and His anger at sin. But I also see His unfathomable, relentless love for His own. Reminds me of that song by Darryl Evans, "Your Love is Extravagant."

I love how The Message translates these verses in 1 John about God's love for us:

This is the kind of love we are talking about -- not that we once upon a time loved God, but that he loves us and sent His Son as a sacrifice to clear away our sins and the damage they've done to our relationship with God. ...God is love. When we take up permanent residence in a life of love, we live in God and God lives in us. This way, love has the run of the house, becomes at home and mature in us, so that we're free of worry on Judgment Day -- our standing in the world is identical with Christ's. -- 1 John 4:10, 16-17


Do you have someone in your life where you see this kind of love reflected in them -- even though it is an imperfect love? Then you've seen a glimpse of Jesus' love for you.

This Christmas, may the lavish love of Jesus Christ, who bought us with His precious blood, be poured out into your heart in a mighty way. His love for us is passionate, strong and never ending. Believe in this love, receive this love and drink it up. Then pass it on to others.

Merry Christmas, dear friends. I'll see you in blog land next week, Lord willing.

Jim

2 Comments:

At 10:53 PM, Blogger Tam said...

What a sweet comment about Susan.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Your love for and dedication to Susan is exceeded only by your love and service for our LORD!

I pray your Christmas Season was one filled to overflowing with His love, grace and mercy!!

Kathy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home