Friday, January 12, 2007

Elevator Speeches

Early this morning before we got out of bed, Susan shared with me a story of how she and several others from Highland are trying to help a man in crisis (we'll call him David). He's been a chronic alcoholic and has apparently wasted much of his life. However, he seems to have turned a corner, thank the Lord. Susan asked me, "Do you think that telling him of the passage in Jeremiah would be taking that verse out of context?"

Susan was referring to Jeremiah 29:11:

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

I told her that these words from the Lord were directed to those in covenant with Him, and yet were not living out God's dreams because of their disobedience. And yet the Lord in His mercy and grace was using His prophets like Jeremiah to call His people back to Himself -- so that they could experience hope, forgiveness, and a new life.

How would I explain this promise to this man Susan and others are trying to help? Maybe I'd say, "David, you don't have to be living this destructive way any more. God loves you and has such a better plan for you. And this promise from the Bible can be yours, if you are in relationship with God. If you put your faith in Jesus and turn your life over to His plan for your life, whether for the first time or in re-dedicating your life to Him, then you really will have a hope and a future."

Our conversation made me think of how I want to be ready to give an answer for the hope that is within me, as 1 Peter admonishes us to do. And yet I don't want to just tell people, "You need to change and stop doing so and so." I want to begin with the gospel. To share with them what Bill Hybels tells folks that he encounters: "The good news is do verses done." Religion is "do" -- do more, try to be better, attempt to live up to God's standards. Christianity is "done" -- Christ has taken care of our sin problem on the cross. And now He invites us to accept that gift and then enter a journey of becoming a fully devoted follower of Him.

Being ready to tell people the gospel in a few sentences reminds me of some leadership principle I read: Be prepared to explain the mission of your organization to a person riding on an elevator with you. By the time the person gets off of the 16th floor, they'll know what your organization is all about.

I want to be able to do that with the gospel -- to summarize very quickly what this good news is. The Lord could use those brief words to change a person's life. Maybe a person who is in the bondage of drugs and alcohol. And perhaps even someone you meet at the grocery store, the mall, on an airplane... or even on an elevator.

Jim

3 Comments:

At 8:37 PM, Blogger Tailpipe Terry said...

Jim,

I found a good "elevator speech" as I read Romans 8:38-39
"For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to seperate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
THAT'S GOOD NEWS!

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Tailpipe Terry said...

Jim,
Maybe our own speech might be.....
"I believe that neither cancer nor car wrecks, neither death nor divorce, neither bankruptcy nor bad health, neither aids nor addictions can separate me from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus my Lord."

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Excellent passage, Terry. Maybe you should preach this at Freedom Church some day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home