Thursday, January 04, 2007

Turning Towards Joy

Last night I found myself surrounded by a bunch of teenagers, huddled around tables while sipping expensive coffee at Starbucks (I see this popular hangout as the modern equivalent to the soda fountains of the 50's). My dear friend Randy Becton and I were enjoying a wonderful time of catching up on our lives after the holidays. While sipping our apple ciders, I read him a quote from the Yancey book on prayer that really hit me.

Yancey tells the story of a Catholic priest interviewed after 20 years of hearing his parishioner's confessions. The question was, "What is the most common problem you've encountered in hearing these confessions?" Without hesitation he said, "God." "Very few of his parishioners behaved as if God loves them. They don't see God as a God of love, forgiveness, gentleness and compassion. They see God as someone to cower before, not as someone like Jesus, worthy of our trust."

This interviewer commented on the priest's experience: "Do we wake up every morning amazed that we are loved by God?...Do we allow our day to be shaped by God's desire to relate to us?"

I thought of this story again this morning as I read these words in Psalm 4:

Let the smile of your face shine on us, LORD. You have given me greater joy
than those who have abundant harvests of grain and wine.

I also read today these words of Jesus, when He began His ministry:

Turn from your sins and turn to God, because the Kingdom of Heaven is near.” -- Matt 4:17

I'm wondering how much our perspective of our relationship with God would change if we realized that repentance results in experiencing this great soul joy that the psalmist describes. Turning away from our sin and self-dependence and turning to Jesus is a turning towards joy!

At times when I really blow it and watch something on T.V. that I know I shouldn't, I'm at first reluctant to tell Susan. I'm embarrassed and ashamed. And yet when I confess this sin not only to the Lord but to my wife, I receive mercy and grace -- not judgment. Susan doesn't hammer me with shame but instead thanks me for being honest about my sin. Knowing that she'll treat me with grace and love motivates me to be honest with her.

How much more in our relationship with Jesus! He LOVES us and welcomes us with His grace and forgiveness when we bring our real selves to Him. Hearing this message once more as I read this story to Randy was so sweet to my soul. Sweeter than that apple cider.

May the smile of His face shine upon You today as you turn to Him for forgiveness, strength and mercy. For you are turning towards joy.

Jim





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home