Friday, December 29, 2006

Wise Words from Joni

I have two favorite journals that I usually devour when they come in the mail -- Leadership Journal and Discipleship Journal (DJ). Often I copy articles from each of these and pass them around the office, or give them to my wife or fellow elders (Each journal gives permission to do so).

This month's DJ appears to be another winner. What I especially have liked so far is the five minute interview with Joni Erickson. Unless you've lived on another planet the past thirty years or so, you likely know her story. Injured in a diving accident, becoming a quadriplegic. She went through a dark time of depression and despair. Through the power of Christ, however, Joni emerged as a dynamic witness for Jesus. Her book, movie, and ministry to the disabled have all deeply ministered to millions.

A few years ago I heard her speak at a conference. What anointed words about suffering and living for Jesus! I showed the video of this speech to our Bible class and it impacted all of us.

Here are a few quotes from the interview in this quarter's DJ:

What keeps your relationship with God alive?

Every morning I preach the gospel to myself. My salvation didn't just happen years ago when I first embraced Christ; it's happening now. I also ask God, "What is my mission today? What fresh things about Yourself will You show me?" It's really the only way to wake up.

What have you learned about walking with God?

That you can't live on yesterday's grace; that God is full of surprises, sweet and sobering; and that knowing Him is far richer than anything I could experience on my feet.

How do you maintain hope in the midst of adversity?

Several friends and I memorize psalms and other Scripture passages. I can't tell you how many times those scriptures pop to mind on nights when I can't sleep. Also, my wheelchair constantly pushes my focus toward heavenly glories, where I will receive much more than I lost on earth. My quadriplegic bones are thin and tired, so I'm already halfway to heaven -- at least in my heart.

The greatest lessons I've learned about life in Christ have come from those who have suffered in some way. Joni is certainly one we can glean tremendous lessons about this pilgrim walk.

May the Lord bless you with a safe New Year's weekend. Lord willing, I'll "see" you in the new year.

Jim

3 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger Beverly said...

yeah, when someone can't do something I'm like, "Hey, Joni can paint with her paintbrush in her teeth...I think you can do it if you try!"

She made a big impression on me long ago and continues to.

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

Joni is one of the sweetest spirits I've ever been blessed to know! She can't help but be an inspiration to anyone that knows here, reads her, hears her, or sees her paintings. She truly is a special child of God!!

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Great points, sisters.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home