Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Christmas with the Fam

I love our family's routine at Christmas time. We closed the Service Center at noon, the 21st, and had the volunteers and staff over to our house for lunch, reflection time and Christmas songs. At three different tables we took turns answering different questions that I had prepared -- about Christmas memories, favorite presents, etc. The response I liked the most was to this question: "Who do you know that is lonely or sad during this season and needs to receive Christ's love from you?" One of our star volunteers came to our table and said he's going to pick up an elderly friend who has dimentia (along with her son who has many physical problems) and take them to church and then their home for a meal.

After Christmas carols we called Bert, one of the volunteers who couldn't make it to the party because of health reason, and sang "We Wish You a Merry Christmas." He told me this morning that the phone call and song lifted his weary spirit.

That next day we got ready for our Christmas meal (family tradition). Susan's face was beaming as she spent most of the afternoon baking cookies, making the dinner and hearing our kids in the den laughing. She kept saying to me, "Jimminy, we are RICH." How right she is.

On Christmas Eve, after opening presents and having another traditional breakfast (Susan makes the coffee cake that my mother made for years every Dec. 25) we headed to San Antonio to spend time with her parents, two sisters and all the cousins. That night we went to the Christmas Eve service at Oak Hills church. Wow! Eric Wilson on the clarinet. A stirring choir led by Jeff Nelson. Max's simple yet profound message about the manger and the cross. And then his oldest daughter, Jenna, singing one of my favorite songs of Chris Rice, "Come to Jesus."

Oak Hills now has three "campuses" within one church. Max's sermons are broadcast to these satellite churches. I heard that over 500 people have confessed their faith in Jesus in baptism this year. As I reflected on this exploding church, I asked myself "Why are so many people are coming to Christ there?" One thing that kept coming to mind -- they continually emphasize the cross of Christ and call folks to give their hearts to Jesus -- as Max did again last Sunday night. It's all about the heart.

I love seeing our kids interact with their cousins at Christmas time. Playing games, participating in a dart tournament (which the adults also did), talking about college, boyfriends, girlfriends, etc. What a blessing to have this extended family of Christians.

We capped off the time together by going to see the film "We are Marshall." I HIGHLY recommend it. One of the most exhilirating and emotionally satisfying films I've seen in quite a while. Matthew McGonohey (sp?) was terrific! I'm so glad we ended our time that way -- even though it meant getting home at 12:40 this morning. But we're safely home, filled with Christmas memories. God is so good.

Hope your Christmas time went well. Any highlights you want to share?

Jim

1 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, Blogger Tailpipe Terry said...

Jim,
Does 'emotionally satisfying' mean that you cried a lot at the movie? Karen and I went and I was
"water works." Great movie but take tissue, please.
How is it that an employee comes out before the movie to remind all to silence cell phones and during the movie you hear one ring and ring and ring. If we can ban smoking in public places.....maybe cell phones can be next. Are you with me?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home