Thursday, January 11, 2007

Entering the Danger Zone

I've probably read the book of Matthew at least a dozen times. But for the first time in reading this particular section, I was struck this morning by how "giving it all up" and following Jesus often means entering the danger zone.

When I first read Matthew in the $2.95 Good News for Modern Man Bible that I bought when I was 20 years old, the words of Jesus pierced me. He scared me when I read these words: "I came not to bring peace but a sword. " I feared giving up allegiance to my family, whom I loved so much. And those fears were confirmed. Yes, I did need to let Jesus be my greatest allegiance, my deepest passion, and not my Mom and Dad, brothers and sisters, and friends in the world.

I hate to admit it but I was a stubborn mule for the next four years and would not submit to Jesus. But over time the Holy Spirit wooed me so much I could not resist. He brought me to faith in Christ. By His grace I became a Christ-follower.


In Matthew 8, all these people said they wanted to follow Jesus. And yet Jesus warned them of the cost: He had no place to lay His head, they need to let the spiritually dead bury their faither. His disciples ended up in a raging storm. They witnessed a frightening confrontation between Jesus and demonic spirits that were sent into pigs who then went to their death in a ravine. The owner of the pigs were frightened by Jesus and told Him to go away.

Following Jesus does mean comfort and peace and amazing joy. And what amazing hope beyond the grave! And yet, and yet, now that we're on Jesus' side, we are in a battle with the enemy. And so we'll be disliked or misunderstood by family or friends (this has happened to me). Our own children may think we're a bit weird if we take Jesus at His word and refuse to be squeezed into the world's mold (Rom. 12, Phillips trans.). And we will face spiritual warfare.

"Arm yourselves for the battle, "John Eldredge reminds us in his tremendous chapter on spiritual warfare in Waking the Dead.

And then I hear the call by the apostle Paul (who definitely was in the danger zone as he proclaimed the gospel of Christ and suffered terribly for it). He urges us to be prepared for the battle:

Be strong with the Lord’s mighty power. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies and tricks of the Devil. For we are not fighting against people made of flesh and blood, but against the evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against those mighty powers of darkness who rule this world, and against wicked spirits in the heavenly realms. Use every piece of God’s armor to resist the enemy in the time of evil, so that after the battle you will still be standing firm. - Eph. 6:10-13, New Living Translation

And isn't it comforting to know that we are not alone in the battle.

Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home