Monday, January 15, 2007

God Helps Those Who Don't Help Themselves

A friend of mine has been in a real pickle these past few weeks (where did that phrase come from? what's the deal about a pickle?). Anyway, he is now finding some stability in his life and sent me an e-mail reflecting on this recent ordeal. The last line of his e-mail jumped out at me:

"Jim,
I am more convinced than ever that God oft times "helps those who don't help themselves."

Here is an excerpt from my reply to him:

Many years ago, when I was a new believer, a Christian friend of mine said, "Jim, you know that God helps those who helps themselves." At first I that sounded great. Maybe it's even in the Bible. But later I learned it came from the lips of Benjamin Franklin.

Then I heard a preacher/professor quote Romans 5:8 in response to the popular myth of B. Franklin:

"God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Sounds like we were absolutely desperate for a rescue from Jesus. And we still need Him every day!

Our pride fights having to depend on the Lord and on His people. We want to "do it my way." But then I recall this other promise from the mouth of our Lord:

"This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word." -- Isa. 66:2

May we all encounter the Lord Jesus and experience His tender mercies as we meet Him in our brokenness and neediness.

Yours on the Great Journey,

Jim

What my friend said also reminded me of a comment another friend made after seeing the popular film, "The Pursuit of Happyness." While she thought that it was a great rags to riches story, what she noticed was that the character played by Will Smith had no community in his life. No supporting resources. And yet somehow he and his son survived this harrowing ordeal and eventually got back on their feet.

I'm not advocating that we rely so much on others for help that we take no responsibility for our lives. What I am saying is that if we're going to really experience the power of Jesus in our lives, we need to recognize and experience the truth of His words: If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

And haven't you found that depending on Jesus involves relying on the body of Christ? I certainly have. God helps those who can't help themselves. So that He can get all the glory.

Jim

5 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Blogger Agent B said...

Yeah. Right on.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

The American "pull up by bootstaps" culture makes this great truth sent by our mutual friend.

God has told us we would have problems, but He's also told us He will never leave nor forsake us. He has told us of His desire to fulfill every desire of our hearts. He has promised to provide daily needs of food, shelter, clothing and then gave us His Son as collateral for these promises. What a great God we love and serve!!!

Great blog this morning, Jim. Always uplifting but especially so this morning. :)

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Kathy said...

The American "pull up by bootstaps" culture makes this great truth sent by our mutual friend.
<><><><><>
Yipes! how about I finish out this sentence.

The American "Pull yourself up by the bootstraps" culture makes it very difficult for us to accept this great truth sent by our mutual friend!
<><><><><><>
Better? LOL

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Tailpipe Terry said...

Jim,

Did you mean to say, "what's the dill about a pickle?"
I googled it and it dates back to the Dutch in 1561. "Being in a pickle" was as if you were stuck in the brine and vinegar as in pickling. A sour place to be. FYI

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Thanks for the reminder of God's faithfulness, Kathy. And thank you Terry for your research on pickles -- I'm soaking in your comments. : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home