Thursday, March 15, 2007

Dwelling on His Nature

At my weekly lunch with Randy Becton yesterday, he led a prayer where his main focus was on God's character. Randy praised the Lord for Who He is -- holy, loving, merciful, kind. After his prayer I mentioned how important it was that we dwell on our Lord's awesome nature and praise Him. Too often I've focused instead on asking Him for things, including a plea that He will help me be more obedient and to resist sin.

I'm just wondering, however, how the Lord would turn my heart toward Him more if I dwelled more on His goodness and grace and love, and spent times praising Him and loving Him for Who He is.

This morning I read the prophesy that Zechariah declared when his son, John the Baptist, was born. So much of his Holy Spirit-filled statement contained references to God's character: He's a Mighty Savior, Redeemer, Merciful, Rescuer.
We might try this today -- take one characteristic of God and dwell on Him and praise Him all day as we think if this part of His nature. Perhaps you could select a Scripture that describes His nature, write it on an index card and meditate on that passage all day.

For example, here's a quote from Psalms that is a prayer with a declaration of God's character imbedded in the plea for help:

Answer my prayers, O LORD,
for your unfailing love is wonderful.
Turn and take care of me,
for your mercy is so plentiful. -- Ps. 69:16

I think I'll put that on an index card and pray that prayer all day.

May Christ fill you with His presence today as you meditate on His awesome nature amidst the joys and challenges of the day. Amen.


Jim

2 Comments:

At 3:27 PM, Blogger Neva said...

Jim,
What a powerful thought!!! How can we ever become more like Him if we don't really know Him? Focusing on who He is seems like a great way to know our God and of course to know Him is to love Him. :)
Still praying for you and your work
Peace
Neva

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

To know Him is to love Him. That's great, Neva. Thanks for your prayers. I need that prayer support each day, trusting the Lord to answer those intercessions for His glory.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home