Monday, March 19, 2007

Good News, Bad News

I read an interesting verse this morning in Luke, describing the ministry of John the Baptist. It said that he was preaching good news, but it sounds a bit scary, also:

He is ready to separate the chaff from the grain with his winnowing fork. Then he will clean up the threshing area, storing the grain in his barn but burning the chaff with never-ending fire.” John used many such warnings as he announced the Good News to the people. -- Luke 3:17-18

As I wondered what this verse meant, I read this comment from the Life Application Bible, which helped me understand a bit John's words:

The baptism with fire also symbolizes the work of the Holy Spirit in bringing God’s judgment on those who refuse to repent. The winnowing fork was a pitchfork used to toss wheat so that the kernels would separate from the husks. Those who refuse to be used by God will be discarded because they have no value in furthering God’s work. Those who repent and believe, however, hold great value in God’s eyes because they are beginning a new life of productive service for him.

As I pondered that verse, a couple memories helped me come to see some of what John meant. First, a film. Susan and I watched "Luther" Friday night -- the second time we've seen it. It was so interesting to see the contrasting reactions unfold in response to Luther's discovery of the gospel. To many of the common people, this good news was so liberating to them as they came to see they could be free from the crushing weight of works righteousness. But to those in political and religious power structures, this new message was an extreme threat. It wasn't good news to them at all because their comfort zone was deeply threatened by Luther and his growing band of reformers.

The second memory was of a scene on the beach of Southern California. I was living a very comfortable life of surfing and parties. And then along comes these guys with long hair and beards telling us about Jesus. I wasn't ready to hear the message, and so what I heard was judgment on my life, not freedom. A couple years later, when I decided to read the New Testament for myself, it both excited me and threatened me. The threat was that I sensed that in accepting Christ and allowing Him to take leadership in my life, it meant turning my back on my family and most of my friends. So it seemed like bad news until, by God's grace, I finally turned to Jesus and said "Yes" to the great invitation.

I'm not quite sure what the application of this passage is to our lives as Christ-redeemed followers of the Master. But it seems to me that we need to always realize that when we do witness to Christ, some will reject the message -- to their judgment -- and some will accept the message -- to their eternal joy.

However, a person responds, our call is to keep proclaiming the living Christ...and let the Holy Spirit do His work.

Jim




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home