Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Discipleship with Love

Sometimes I don't want to be a serious disciple of Christ. I hate to admit it. But this is what goes on in my soul at times. My flesh wants to do what I want to do and not be told what to do. Isn't that the basic instinct of our carnal nature -- self will? Makes me think of times where I was unwilling to submit to a leader over me.

Nearly thirty seven years ago I went to Europe with 30 other high school graduates. Imogene Brokaw was our leaders, a courageous single woman who loved art and taught it with a passion. She was my Humanities teacher in my senior year at Buena High School in Ventura, California. A week or so after our class graduated, several of us from that class went on a 9 week tour of Europe, focusing on seeing the art, buildings, and sculpture -- as well as hearing the music and operas -- that we had studied all year. We 18 year olds were on a trip of a lifetime. And yet at times many of us acted like a bunch of disgruntled, mutinous sailors.

Within a few days of our first leg of the tour -- touring Germany and Holland -- we were giving Mrs. Brokaw fits. Staying up later than our curfew. Sneaking out to the bars. Acting like animals at our dinners. Making fun of her behind her back.

Looking back on this experience made me think of what spoiled jerks we were. Here was a woman knocking herself out for 30 high school grads so we could have a taste of art and music that few students our age have experienced. And in return many of us were being obnoxious rebels. How life would have been much easier for her and for all of us if we had cooperated more and appreciated this labor of love from Imogene Brokaw.


I read these words of Jesus today:

“If you want to be my follower you must love me more than your own father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, more than your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be my disciple.” – Luke 14:26

By human standards, this call from Jesus seems so harsh. Why must I be so sacrificial in giving up everything, including my most precious relationships...and even giving up my own life? And yet....and yet, when I realize these words come from the One who LOVES me and gave His own life for my salvation...how can I but not submit to my Master?

You see, when we look at discipleship through the lens of the love of God, what a difference it makes!! AS Paul says,

"For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again. -- 2 Cor. 5:14-15

I'm thinking again of that trip to Europe -- how much more we would have enjoyed it if we would have trusted Mrs. Berkaw's wisdom and experience in travelling there. And how easier we would have made it on her if we had submitted to her guidance.

I want to be a joyful and grateful follower of Jesus each day, giving it all up for Him. I long to know Him more and willingly obey Him, knowing that following my Master is the only way to true joy -- and how I show my deep gratitude for what He has done and continues to do for me.

Jim

1 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Blogger Candy said...

me too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home