Wednesday, April 04, 2007

3rd Step Prayer

Several years ago my dear friend Bill Nash got me interested in working the 12 steps and attending a Christ-centered 12 step group on Wednesday nights at Highland. They called themselves "Christians in Recovery." It was a refreshing group of Christ-followers who were determined to be real about their sin battles and seeking recovery through Jesus Christ. In the first few weeks of attending this group, I didn't realize what addictions or hangups I needed to recover from -- until I finally began working the steps and meeting with a sponsor.

In time, the Lord revealed my problem -- codependency and selfishness. Keith Miller's excellent book, The Healing Journey, was especially helpful during this time of spiritual awakening. For years Keith was a very popular Christian speaker and writer. Then his marriage fell apart. He battled with alcohol. Reluctantly he eventually began working the steps and attending a 12 step group. Out of his experience he wrote this marvelous book and made a video series that has been used widely.

I haven't been to one of these groups for several years now and stopped meeting with my sponsor. However, whenever I read some of the literature on recovery and the 12 steps, especially when it's written from a Christian perspective, my heart is so deeply touched. And the Holy Spirit makes me aware once more that a life surrendered to my Master Jesus is the only way to truly be used by Him for His purposes...and to experience that abundant life He promises.

A couple nights ago before going to bed, I felt compelled to pick up one of my recovery books and read a few pages about the 3rd step, which in the Christian version goes as follows:

"Make a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God and the Lordship of Jesus Christ."

This commentary on the 3rd step really grabbed me that night:

Step 3 invites us to get out of the center of our universe and hand that place back to God. As we move into any addiction or dependency, we tend to become more self-centered, self-absorbed, and self-proccupied in trying to address the pain driving the addiction. ...

How do we get out of the driver's seat? The key is willingness. If we crack the door just a little bit, then God will direct us in the process. -- Serenity -- A Companion for Twelve Step Recovery (Thomas Nelson Publishers), pp. 35-36


The reading in my One Year Bible this morning was about Mary and Martha. And I thought of how the scene of Mary sitting at Jesus' feet and listening to Him fits so well this matter of a surrendered heart. Listening to the Lord and then obeying His voice out of deep love for Him.

As I once more say "Yes" to Jesus and "No" to my will, would you join me in this 3rd step prayer for today?

"God I offer myself to You -- to build with me and to do with me as You will. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Your will. Take away (or use) my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Your power, Your love and Your way of life. May I do Your will always."

In Jesus' Name and for the sake of His glory, Amen.

Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home