Thursday, March 29, 2007

Building Dreams


Don Baber, one of our star volunteers, told me yesterday of a man named James Culler who once loaded up several old dorms at ACC and transported them about a mile to their new home. These dorms were former barracks from Camp Barkeley during World War II. James then supervised a team of men that arranged and connected these buildings on a piece of land on the corner of N. 9th and Mesquite Street. Thus was born the home of the Christian Service Center. This was nearly 40 years ago. The old building still is holding up, but is definitely showing its age.

Ever since I started leading this ministry hear about four years ago, one of my goals was to either find us a larger and more functional building or to construct a new one on this site. Our board is presently in the talking and praying and dreaming stage about another building. However, as one board member reminded me of yesterday, it's vital that we don't get the cart before horse.

At lunch yesterday Randy surprised me with his words: "Jim, I'm not a big advocate of that new building. Becuase I think you need a vision before you build a building. I know you're embarrassed by it, but that's not a reason to build something new."

He and I then brainstormed about how we could go about seeking a new vision from God for this ministry. Only then would it be wise to make plans for either revamping an existing facility in Abilene or construct a new one.

His words hurt a bit because I was getting excited about the possibility of having a place with more room, a much more functional floor plan. This is a very old, moldy building. And I can envision how we could build a place or remodel an existing building to fit our needs much more.

Please pray for me and the board as we seek a vision from the Lord about how this ministry can best serve the poor of this community in the Name of Jesus. And then if He gives us a building, that we'd use it all for His glory.

Jim

2 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

Praying, Jim, Praying!

To a degree, I agree with friend Randy. I wonder how the needy would feel about a flashy, expensive new building in light of their poverty. And to what extent should more funds be invested in buildings when there is so much need?

That being said, moving to a refurbished building that is less drafty, less expensive to maintain is not a bad idea either. I would also wonder how it would affect your clients should you move out of their area.

I'm continuing to pray for guidance and God's wisdom for you and your board as you consider the various options.

When the right decision comes to you, I believe there will also be an accompanying peace about that decision.

As I've written previously, discerning the difference between dread and excitement helps us in the decision making process. With dread comes a thudding, sinking feeling in the pit of the stomach. With excitement comes a leap of the heart as the spirit moves in us.

May you come to excitement and peace in your decision-making is my prayer for y'all!!

In His love, grace and mercy

Kathy

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Jim Clark said...

Thank you, Kathy. You're such an encourager, filled with such Spirit-sensitized wisdom.

If we did build a building, it would probably be a metal building, like the one new one we have in a back. Very economical but functional (and well insulated). Of course, wanting people who come here to enjoy beauty, I'd want to have some esthetic touches -- tastefull painted walls, crosses, etc.

I'm excited about the idea. And will continue praying and exploring this dream with the board and others.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home