Thursday, April 05, 2007

A Father's View

Last night the Highland Church staff planned a wonderful time of worship called "Journey to the Cross." They had set up several different devotional experiences in various classrooms and then invited the church to go from room to room. I was blessed to be in the room with about four other elders where we had the privilege of washing others' feet.

While soaking, massaging and drying the feet of several brothers and sisters in Christ, I quoted Scripture to them and we both reflected on the humility of our Lord in how He did this to the disciples. What was especially moving was washing the feet of the many children who came to us. I loved listening to Dickie Porche next to me, as he gently told these young disciples about how much Jesus loves them and that He is calling them to go from there and serve others just like Jesus served and serves us each day. It was a holy moment.

At 7:45, we were all ushered into the auditorium which was lit mainly by clusters of candles placed in various parts of the room. After we were all seated, one of our elders, Bob Nutt, read the crucifixion scene from Matthew. What really gripped me during this reading was the painting that was projected on the screen in front. It was an overhead shot of Jesus on the cross. I rarely have seen that point of view -- as if we were looking down from heaven. The more I stared at that picture, the more I realized why it moved me so deeply. It was the Father's point of view. Almighty God witnessed the heartbreaking scene of His only Son dying this painful death so that we could be reconciled with this Holy God.

I imagined what it would be like to watch our son, Aaron, going through this excruciating death on behalf of others. Knowing in my heart the deep loneliness and agony he would have felt. That is just a glimpse of the awesome love the Father has for you and me.

One of most stirring and creative scenes in the film, "The Passion of the Christ," was another overhead shot looking down from heaven. At the point of Jesus' death, a massive tear drop fell from the sky and splashed on the earth. It was if Mel Gibson was saying that God shed tears while His Son shed blood. Tears borne from deep pain. Tears that symbolize the washing away of our sins.

How could I not be in love with a Father who gave so sacrificially to me. Hallelujah, what a Savior.

Jim

1 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

The love of the Father for us could not be stated any better. What a sweet, gentle expression of love you have given us, Jim. Bless and thank you for your heart that you share with us!

And YES!!

HE IS RISEN!!

Hallelujah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home