Friday, March 30, 2007

The Outflow of Power

I was in a Subway Sandwich place a couple weeks ago, having lunch with a friend. As we got to the counter to pay for our meal my friend asked the clerk how her day was going. Heather was her name (I always look at a name tag of a person working in a store or a restaurant and then call them by name. People LOVE to hear their name).

Heather gave us an honest response, admitting that she was tired. When we asked what we could do for her, she quickly replied, "You can pray for me." And pray for her we did -- right there in front of our sandwiches and other customers.

As we sat down to eat and reflected briefly on our encounter with Heather, my friend said, "People are looking for blessings." So true.

Think of all the people that cross our paths who are struggling in some way, just waiting for someone to ask how they're doing and then hoping that we will really listen and care.

When meetign me at church, my friend Wes will often say, "How are you REALLY doing?" He shows me that he cares and wants to know what's going on in my life, not just saying the cliche, "How's it going?" I'm just wondering what would happen if we would do that with those around us each day. It will likely take a lot of listening and caring.

This morning I read that wonderful story in the gospels where Jesus felt power flowing out of Him when the women touched the hem of His garment. And I thought of how we as Christians are filled with the resurrection power of the living Christ. So when people are in touch with us, either literally or figuratively, and we are used by Jesus to show them His compassion, does not His power flow out of us?

I pray that Heather felt that power and gave God the glory. And that more Heathers in our lives will be touched by Jesus through His Spirit within us.

Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home